[Solved] Formatting lost when pressing enter

Discuss the word processor
cweshen1

[Solved] Formatting lost when pressing enter

Post by cweshen1 »

Hello, :alarm:
I am using Open Office Writer for 3.2.1. I am using the default style for writing paragraphs and formatting the paragraphs to use double line spaces. I open a new text document but, when I get done with a paragraph and wish to drop down to start another paragraph the line spacing of the previous paragraph reverts to single space instead of staying double spaced. Is there a way to stop this, short of typing the page using single space lines then going back to select the paragraphs and formatting them for double space lines? I am using the paragraph breaks for dialog which has to be in its own paragraph. :crazy: This is driving me up the wall.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice version 3.2.1 installed on Windows Vista
acknak

Re: formatting lost when pressing enter

Post by acknak »

This is not the usual behavior for text entered in OOo Writer. I'm guessing that you're doing something out of the ordinary to get this effect, but I can't imagine what that is.

Well, unless someone else has a better imagination, let's try some text entered in the usual way. Please follow carefully...

1) Start with a blank text document (start Writer, then menu File > New > Text Document)
2) Type d, t, then press F3 (that's two keys, "d" then "t", then the function key "F3" above the number keys). This produces a paragraph of "dummy text".
3) Click anywhere in the paragraph text
4) menu: Format > Paragraph > Indents & Spacing > Line spacing: Double; OK. The line spacing for the whole paragraph should open up to double-spaced.
5) Click in the last line of the paragraph; press the "End" key to move the cursor to the end of the text, then press Enter.
6) Type in some text, without pressing Enter again, until you have more than one line--or, just use "dt,F3" again.

You should find that the new paragraph gets the double spacing automatically, without having to repeat the Format > Paragraph step.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Re: formatting lost when pressing enter

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also that one perhaps: [Solved] Paragraph Style Format Consistency.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
cweshen1

Re: Formatting lost when pressing enter

Post by cweshen1 »

Ok, I don't think I was specific enough in my first post question on this subject.
First of all I tried your suggestion acknak to use the "d", "t" and F3 keys. I got the paragraph you talked about and everything worked as it is supposed to until I pressed ENTER. When I pressed Enter after the paragraph the double spacing in the paragraph changed to single spaced lines. and not only that but my document changes formatting by its self. I suppose that it may have to do with playing around with the styles & formatting box. I have tried to change the styles and formatting to default but it does not stay that way.
How can I change the formatting to default and keep it that way?
thanks for your help.
carol
therabi
Volunteer

Post by therabi »

Can you upload a sample of that shows this problem.
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
cweshen1

Post by cweshen1 »

How can I upload a sample? It is specific to the Ooo writer and the documents I create. Even If I sent you a screen shot it wouldn't help. I don't think it can be duplicated by looking at a document. What do you suggest? I am not sure how to do it.
thanks
carol
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The upload facility is on a tab below the submit button on the main Post Reply screen (not the Quick Reply screen). We need to see an actual file of two or three paragraphs to isolate the problem. A screen shot is no use for this.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

When I pressed Enter after the paragraph the double spacing in the paragraph changed to single spaced lines. and not only that but my document changes formatting by its self.
Sorry, but this is behavior that I've never seen before with OOo. Maybe there is some option or unusual mode that works this way, but if there is, I can't think what it might be.

The only alternative I can think of is that either your OOo configuration has some problem, or your OOo itself has some problem.

I would try first, to get a fresh OOo settings profile: [Tutorial] The OOo user profile It takes a bit of fiddling, but if you can follow the instructions, it's not hard.

If that doesn't help--that is, if OOo does not stop changing the formatting as you type--then I would remove the OOo software and completely re-install from scratch. You might as well take the opportunity to upgrade to the latest release at the same time.
 Edit: PS: 
It couldn't hurt to attach a sample document. We could at least try it and see if there's some setting in the document that's causing the problem. You can use the "Upload Attachment" link (below the message entry area after you click "POST REPLY"). [Forum] How to attach a document here
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Does the paragraph style of the previous paragraph change to "Text body" when ENTER is pressed? If so, then select Tools > AutoCorrect Options. Click the Options tab. Uncheck the Apply Styles option.
cweshen1

Post by cweshen1 »

Bill, thank you, thank you, thank you! It was the settings in the AutoCorrect Options. I did as you instructed and it did the trick! Again: thank you, thank you, thank you!
And to all of you who replied to this post I thank you, thank you, thank you, also!
Carol
acknak

Post by acknak »

Wow--nice insight, Bill! I never use it, so I forget that the setting even exists.

Good catch!
Fergus Pearson

Re: [Solved] Formatting lost when pressing enter

Post by Fergus Pearson »

Thanks Bill, from me too. I have struggled with this for months. I had found that after the paragraph changed, clicking undo would solve the problem, so I should have twigged that something in autocorrect might fix it. Much appreciated.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
psyche614519

When hit enter at end of paragraph it unindents that paragra

Post by psyche614519 »

Every time I type an indented paragraph and then hit "enter" the paragraph I just finished jumps back to being unindented. How do I make this stop, please!!!
Lynn K. Fleischbein, Open Office 3.3
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Did you try the fix posted above?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
psyche614519

Post by psyche614519 »

I did and it was already unchecked.
Lynn K. Fleischbein, Open Office 3.3
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Normally, when Enter is pressed, the paragraph format does not change. Please upload a sample document and tell us exactly what you do to indent the paragraph.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04