[Solved] Compatibility with MS Works (.wps) files

Discuss the word processor
hyperkilljoy

[Solved] Compatibility with MS Works (.wps) files

Post by hyperkilljoy »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? none
What Operating System (version) are you using? XP
What is your question or comment? i just built this XP machine use to have windows ME and i was just wondering if this program reads the files i saved in microsoft works word on my ME machine. i transferred all my files from ME to my XP machine and want a program to read them. i didnt wanna dl this and try cuz it would take like 3 hrs and me finding out it not working would be a bummer so i want to ask first

thanks
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: AndrewZ: make subjet more descriptive. Hagar: tagged as Solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: compatibility

Post by Villeroy »

Nothing but MS"Works" can open that files.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

If you have been using the Works suite, which includes MS Word, all your documents will be saved as "*.doc", and you should be fine. (You may experience slight formatting differences, so not everything will look exactly as it used to, but all your document content should be available).

If, on the other hand, you have been using the wordprocessor application integrated in Works, documents will be saved as "*.wks", and the current OOo will not readily open those files. Some third party builds of Open Office may have the filters to open those files, but then again, those builds tend to have other issues. (Not even Word - up to the XP version - did have integral support for Works ".wks"-files, though filter downloads were available.)

The Compatibility Pack and document viewers, freely available from Microsoft, are useful if you have documents saved in their new Office 2007 formats, collectively named OOXML.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
hyperkilljoy

Post by hyperkilljoy »

all the files are .wps

i goto microsoft works tab then click on word processor to open it in windows ME in XP these files say unknown application.

i try to open it with wordpad and other programs it just gives me encryption type looking symbols lol
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Re: compatibility with wps

Post by AndrewZ »

I wrote libwps to open .wps files in OpenOffice.org. As the page explains, one easy solution is to use OxygenOffice.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
hyperkilljoy

Post by hyperkilljoy »

Thanks to u all it worked :D