[Issue] Error condition with JRE not installed

Discuss the word processor
prodata

[Issue] Error condition with JRE not installed

Post by prodata »

If I activate the 'Macro' tab on the Picture dialogue on a Vista PC with (I think) JRE not installed, I get into a permanent loop with a 'JRE Required' error being shown repetitively. The only way I can see of exiting this situation is by killing Writer via Windows Task Manager. (Using OO v2.3.1)
Last edited by floris v on Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged as issue because of link to bug report, floris v, moderator
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Error condition with JRE not installed

Post by Villeroy »

If you don't have a JRE installed, turn off Tools>Options...OpenOffice.org>Java:"Use JRE".
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
prodata

Post by prodata »

Thanks but it's not actually turned on.

[Just to avoid misunderstanding, I don't necessarily want to use a JRE. But for anyone just evaluating OO it does create a pretty bad impression if you can totally lock up the program simply because an optional component is not installed.]
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

That should be a known issue, but I can not find it. So I filed a new one http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=86541
You don't have to kill the application. The message provides a "No" button. Hold Alt+N in order to keep on answering "No" until you get to the desired action, which should be accessible anyway.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

I have the same problem on Vista when I don't remember to select a JRE on my portable version of OOo.

However, I noticed your problem comes up when you're clicking on the Macro tab. JRE is necessary for most activities using macros. You can record and save a macro without it, but you can't run them or assign them or otherwise organize them without Java.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

foxcole wrote:JRE is necessary for most activities using macros.
Huh? I can use all my macros (Basic and Python) without JRE unless I call one of those "script browsers" to select/assign a macro. After answering dozends of messages with "No" I get the desired functionality anyway.
nyx

Post by nyx »

Omg, now that there is year 2016 today, why there still is this ugly endless-loop-error if clicking on macro and java JRE obviously hadn't been installed ? The guy who first reported this error eight years ago in 2008 should finally be gratified. Do you consider that the only exit from this endless loop is to kill OO via task manager? (Ok, I know, Adobe OO has so much problems concerning its future progress so my humple unsophisticated wanting seems to be patently secondary.)

Ah, btw, as for an Java developer every day working with eclipse neon RTE is undoubtedly installed! So any idea?

-- nyx
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

For others searching, don't forget that while you probably have a 64 bit PC and a 64 bit operating system and 64 bit Java installed, AOO requires 32 bit Java so you must install it as well. See this post for more details
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

nyx wrote:Do you consider that the only exit from this endless loop is to kill OO via task manager?
It has already been stated here and in the bug report that it's not an endless loop, and using the Task Manager to kill AOO isn't necessary. It is necessary to close the message 15 times before it will remain closed. It probably hasn't been given a higher priority because there are workarounds and it doesn't cause loss of data.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Pseudothink

Re: [Issue] Error condition with JRE not installed

Post by Pseudothink »

FYI, I can confirm this bug still exists in OpenOffice version 4.1.3, on Windows 10, almost a decade later. Specifically, opening the "Macro" tab under Format > "Picture..." (when Java is not installed) results in this looping dialog prompt:
OpenOfficePictureMacroErrorLoop.PNG
Following Villeroy's advice and disabling Java just changes the prompt to this:
OpenOfficePictureMacroErrorLoop2.PNG
FYI, disabling Java is now under Options > OpenOffice > Java:
OpenOfficeDisableJava.PNG
The prompt continues to be displayed when clicking No or Cancel, about 15 times or so. It's easy to see why people think it's an infinite loop...many (including myself) would just give up and kill the task before reaching the 15+ count cancels it takes to actually cancel. However, killing the task just means that OpenOffice will open the "Macro" tab automatically, the next time the Picture properties dialog box is displayed. This causes the error loop to start all over again. It gives the impression that OpenOffice basically broke itself, and can only be repaired by reinstalling it. For some, especially early users, this poor impression might be enough to abandon OpenOffice as broken.

There are probably a number of ways this could be fixed, avoided, or worked around in the code. One (hack) method would just be to have the "Pictures..." dialog box auto-switch to any tab but the "Macro" tab, if "No" or "Cancel" is selected for this prompt.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10.0.15063 N/A Build 15063
ForrestErickson

Post by ForrestErickson »

OO.Org version 3.3.0.

I was stuck in the endless loop when ever trying to set picture properties and rebooting the computer and opening another document did not clear the problem. It was like my whole OpenOffice.org writer was forever broken should I every want to set a Picture property again.

However. I went to Tools> Options> and then Java and deselected the check box.
Then when I right clicked the photo and selected Picture the dialog box now had three options rather than just two. I was able to finally dismiss the dang thing and select a different tab.
Not sure if I dismissed the dialog with the no options of the cancel options and I dare not recreated the bug because I have work do do.

Sure is a nasty trap to leave laying set for users all these years.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows on XP
RVCave

Post by RVCave »

Just experienced the same problem while inserting and changing the properties of a picture. Open Office was dead after I accidentally selected the macro tab. Error message about JRE not installed kept popping up, had to go to Task Manager to close Writer. Tried reinstalling OpenOffice and that didn't do it. Tried installing Java and that didn't work either. Your solution saved the day! It would be nice if the Open Office community could fix this. Great product otherwise.
Open Office v 4.1.4
Windows 10
vbunch

Post by vbunch »

hi, been experiencing exact same java looping issues as everyone here writes.
shame shame, that this issue has been reported by others, many years without resolution. :ucrazy:
really glad to use the alt-n to get out of it. previously I used task manager to kill oo, but lost all my data each time, sigh. :roll:
all I do is double click any picture.
so how to edit a picture in place?
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on windows 7 spk1
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This is "solved" in https://libreoffice.org/ They compile a 64-bit version of their office suite for Windows so the "normal" automatically installed version of a 64-bit Java just works.
For Windows users struggling with 32-bit OpenOffice on a 64-bit Windows system, there is only https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp . Manual download and installation of the "Windows offline" package installs another Java in C:\Program Files (x86)\.
vbunch

Post by vbunch »

thanks, all is well. the macro window does not loop, and I can nicely edit pictures. picture editing is wonderful
I never could edit pictures til now.
have w7 x64 5ghz 16GB ram.
here is what I did, should help others:
completely uninstalled all java, sun, oracle. then ran ccleaner (highly recommend). it found hundreds of broken links, files, and registry entries.
then manually searched and deleted any java, sun, oracle files left over. look in program folders, program data, users/xxx/ many folders.
now my computer runs 2 to 3x faster because of ccleaner.
then installed latest java windows x64 manually.
did not install the 32 bit java.
oo works well now.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on windows 7 spk1
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

No reason to stirr up your disk. All you have to do is installing the right Java for your office suite and then select it in Tools>Options>Java. 64-bit Java for 64-bit office and 32-bit Java for 32-bit office. On a 64-bit Windows any 32-bit versions of software is installed to C:\Program Files (x86). There you find the right Java for your OpenOffice.

The Mac compilations are 64-bit since there are no 32-bit Macs anymore.
Linux compilations are availlable in 32-bit and 64-bit.
OpenOffice for Windows is always a 32-bit compilation. A 64-bit version of OpenOffice for Windows does not exist.
LibreOffice offers 32-bit and 64-bit compilations for Windows and Linux.
Ozi Ian

Post by Ozi Ian »

G'day all.
I see the first post about this problem was 2008.
Yet I am having exactly the same problem IN LATE 2021 with OOo 4.1.11 on Win10 fully updated

I have 32 bit JRE installed to the default x86 directory.
OO apparently finds this file and I click OK. Ummmm ... do I have to click on 'Add' as well?
OO Java path-small.JPG

BUT

When I try to edit a photo in the document the edit window ALWAYS OPENS in the Macro mode (why I don't know) and so I still get the same error message and lock-up.
The recommended Alt-n (or is it Alt-N ie Alt-Shift-N?) or clicking on the 'No' button 40 times or so doesn't work for me.
Killing OO in Task Manager is the only way out.

Just a thought. Is there an .ini file or something where the default function of the image editing box can be changed to something else other than 'Macros' ?

Enough to drive a bloke to Libre Office 64 bit. :twisted:

Come on, development team. Listen to your users. How about getting this son-of-a-bitch problem fixed?
Ozi Ian - Intel NUC i5; 43" quadHD Samsung monitor ;-) ; Win 10 Home; latest AOO version
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

As far as I can tell from your image, you haven't clicked the radio button left of the Java version shown to select it.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Ozi Ian wrote:I have 32 bit JRE installed to the default x86 directory.
OO apparently finds this file and I click OK. Ummmm ... do I have to click on 'Add' as well?
No, but you do have to click the radio button to actually select the JRE.
Ozi Ian wrote:When I try to edit a photo in the document the edit window ALWAYS OPENS in the Macro mode (why I don't know)...
It opens "in the Macro mode" because you clicked the Macro tab at some point in the past.
Ozi Ian wrote:...and so I still get the same error message and lock-up.
The recommended Alt-n (or is it Alt-N ie Alt-Shift-N?) or clicking on the 'No' button 40 times or so doesn't work for me.
Killing OO in Task Manager is the only way out.
Clicking "no" 15 times has always worked for me (still does), then I can click the Type tab.
Ozi Ian wrote:Just a thought. Is there an .ini file or something where the default function of the image editing box can be changed to something else other than 'Macros' ?
Resetting your user profile should do it.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Ozi Ian

Post by Ozi Ian »

Aaaahhhhhhh .... :super:
I had assumed because it was the only entry and highlighted, that was it.

Who would have thought it would be THAT simple.
[ :oops: Obviously not me. :oops: ]
Old age brain fade - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

NOW I have my OO back working properly again. :D

Development Team - please disregard my comments!
Well ... maybe. :idea: Make it impossible to get into that loop in the first place? Ie JRE not installed = greyed out 'Macro' tab.

Bill & robleyd - Thanks so much for your spot-on replies.
Your time and effort is truly appreciated.

Best regards,
Ozi Ian
Ozi Ian - Intel NUC i5; 43" quadHD Samsung monitor ;-) ; Win 10 Home; latest AOO version
mumhours

Post by mumhours »

I fixed it by quickly saving (took a few tries), forcing OpenOffice closed, opening a blank document and going into the OpenOffice menu and selecting Preferences. I opened the Java option and unticked "Use a Java runtime environment." I still had to close the windows a few more times, but then they stayed away. When you open up the document that you orignally had the problem with, get away from the Macros window! Thank you to everyone who helped in this thread :D
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10 with MacOS Catalina 10.15.5