[Solved] Turning off Smart Quotes

Discuss the word processor
John of Chico

[Solved] Turning off Smart Quotes

Post by John of Chico »

Many if not most web browsers interpret the smart quotes (the curly " marks that auto-replace the normal quote marks) with broken icons. I tried tools: auto-correct options: replace "standard" quotes with "custom" quotes" but they still come up. How can I get normal quotes?

Thanks
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 3.20 / Windows XP
franx
Volunteer

Re: Turning off Smart Quotes

Post by franx »

Hi,
disable Replace under Custom Quotes
custom_quotes.png
[see also the information under Options
[M]: Replace while modifying existing text]
LibreOffice 4.0.4 · WinXP
acknak

Post by acknak »

Many if not most web browsers interpret the smart quotes (the curly " marks that auto-replace the normal quote marks) with broken icons.
Can you give an example of this? I've not noticed it before.

Also, I'm not entirely clear on what the quotes in Writer have to do with your web browser. Can you explain a little more about what you're trying to do?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
John of Chico

Post by John of Chico »

Thanks, that worked.
[
quote="franx"]Hi,
disable Replace under Custom Quotes
custom_quotes.png
[see also the information under Options
[M]: Replace while modifying existing text][/quote]
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Many if not most web browsers interpret the smart quotes (the curly " marks that auto-replace the normal quote marks) with broken icons.
That may depend on Menu - View - Character set. You may want to experiment with Western (ISO8859-1), Unicode (UTF8), etc, until a page with curly quotation marks looks okay.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
John of Chico

Post by John of Chico »

Hmmm...

Well... I made a web page to demonstrate the problem for you, but both worked fine (i.e. with and without the smart quotes).
When I first began working on the Web in the late 90's I composed most of my posts using Word, then copy and pasted to my site. That was when I first noticed the problem. I used to I got a little box where the quotes were supposed to be, and so I always kept "smart quotes" turned off. I just assumed the same would be true with Open Office. We are having a storm right now so I decided to use my lap top for a study I am working on instead of my desk top in case we lose power, and it uses Open Office. Apparently this is no longer a problem.
Thanks for your help.
acknak wrote:
Can you give an example of this? I've not noticed it before.

Also, I'm not entirely clear on what the quotes in Writer have to do with your web browser. Can you explain a little more about what you're trying to do?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Thanks for the follow up. I guessed that might be the case.

The problem was that Microsoft implemented their "smart quotes" in a way that was not standard or compatible with the rest of the web. OOo has always used the standard Unicode characters for the typographic ("curly") quotation marks, and they work fine with any recent browser.
franx
Volunteer

Post by franx »

:bravo:
That's definitely the better approach.
I was too much focused on the topic "Turning off Smart Quotes".
But we shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater ...
[... or "reset the user profile" for every undetermined discrepancy ... ;) ]
LibreOffice 4.0.4 · WinXP
OnoSendi

Re: [Solved] Turning off Smart Quotes

Post by OnoSendi »

How quotes effects your browser: document writing programs such as Microsoft Word and OpenOffice Writer change a left quote to a curly left quote, and a right quote to a curly right quote. Your browser interprets the curly quote as a special character, which it can't read, and replaces the quote with a big ugly question mark. However, you SHOULD NOT be using quotes within your text strings. They should be replaced with " Example: "The brown fox jumped over the fence"
Open Office 3.3 Windows 7 (64 bit)
acknak

Re: [Solved] Turning off Smart Quotes

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your point.

As far as I know, there should be no problem using standard typographic (curly) quotes in html document text.

For example, does your browser have trouble with these? “ ”

OOo Writer uses the standard quote characters, and no special treatment is needed.