[Solved] Printing envelopes - another problem

Discuss the word processor
gwatson

[Solved] Printing envelopes - another problem

Post by gwatson »

I cannot make Writer print the envelopes on the right-hand side in the "Printer" dialog, using the last icon on the right. They will happily print to the left and in the centre, but refuse to print on the right. The printer feed mechanism, on the other hand, will only draw them in from the tray if they are on the right - trying to load them in the centre or on the left causes a paper jam.

I'm running OO 2.3.1 on Windows XP Home SP2 and an HP Officejet 5610 all-in-one printer.

I've checked every mention of "envelopes" I could find, both in the forum and on Google (took me two days!), but I can't find any reference to this particular problem. Grateful for any advice, and forgive me if it's there somewhere and I've missed it...
Last edited by gwatson on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnV
Volunteer

Re: Printing envelopes - another problem

Post by JohnV »

Somewhere in version 2.3.x printing envelopes loaded on the right got messed up. I've attached an 8.5 by 11 page with an envelope frame in the lower left that will print a #10 envelope load on the right, face down and flap to the left. My printer is the same as yours.
Attachments
Envelope_No.10.ott
(7.4 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
pitonyak
Volunteer

Post by pitonyak »

Recently, I have printed many envelopes. Rather than using special envelope functionality, I measured the envelope size and then created a frame with the appropriate dimensions.

I then set the page to portrait or landscape based on how the envelope would feed.

Finally, I positioned the envelope on the page based on how envelopes feed in my printer. For example, My HP4650DN feeds envelopes centered. So.... I anchor the frame as a character and then I can center justify the frame itself.

I recently used this technique along with a mail merge to print hundreds of envelopes of different sizes and orientations with no problems. One of the biggest surprised was that I did not have to worry about the fact that the envelopes were always smaller than the paper size.
Andrew Pitonyak
http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php
LO and AOO on Fedora
gwatson

Post by gwatson »

Many thanks to both for swift and helpful replies. I'll try this solution and report back if there's any further problem.

It's comforting to know that "somewhere in version 2.3.x printing envelopes loaded on the right got messed up" - at least it's not me being stupid ;-)
gwatson

Post by gwatson »

Worked perfectly! Thanks again.

PS: Should we point this out to the development team, or do they monitor this forum anyway? If we need to bring it to their attention, what's the most appropriate way to do this?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

gwatson wrote:Should we point this out to the development team, or do they monitor this forum anyway? If we need to bring it to their attention, what's the most appropriate way to do this?
No, the developers don't monitor the forums. The right place to report issues is in Bugs and Issues. It may have been reported already. Search first before making a new issue.

I found This Issue with a quick search of tracker issues for "Envelopes."
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
soren

Post by soren »

pitonyak wrote:One of the biggest surprised was that I did not have to worry about the fact that the envelopes were always smaller than the paper size.
This certainly depends on the particular printer. I am using a HP5si. This printer has sensors to recognize the length of the piece of paper fed trough, and if I do not set the size correctly the printer will complain and raise a paper jam issue (which I can simply ignore).
OpenOffice 2.3.1 German -- Windows XP