[Solved] Documents keep crashing

Discuss the word processor
blue_ridge_rider

Re: [Solved] Documents keep crashing

Post by blue_ridge_rider »

I found the answer to a side question that came up during my quest for a better backup solution than Carbonite. When I ordered Backup & Restore to image my primary drive Vista displayed a message that said something like, "Your primary hard drive is encrypted. This computer image will be unencrypted when written to your backup drive. Be sure to store your backup drive in a safe place." It turns out that Vista just assumes backup drives are unencrypted. It does not check to see whether that is the case. Mine is encrypted, but I still got the warning. I have now written an image plus backup files over the course of a few days, deleted them, and reimaged and got the warning message both times, but Bitlocker reports the backup drive is still encrypted. So Backup & Restore does not change the drive's encryption status and the image is encrypted despite the warning.
Open Office 3.1.1 on Windows Vista SP2
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Hmmm.... okay, so Oo crashed again. Even after I fixed my Carbonite backup schedule and got it to be in a paused state until the backup begins in the evening.

I just noticed today, after that crash, that Carbonite was scheduled to backup my AppData folder. Inside that folder is the Roaming folder. Inside that folder is the OpenOffice.org folder. Carbonite was scanning that folder! I changed the settings to not include the Oo folder. So far, Oo is behaving nicely.

I hope this is my last post on this subject. ;o)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Malibu wrote:I hope this is my last post on this subject. ;o)
So do we... in the nicest possible way, of course :-)

Why do you think some of us use Windows 2000 and handle backups etc ourselves?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
CaydenRyan

Post by CaydenRyan »

So, I see Malibu's problem is resolved, here comes a fun one.

I do not have carbonite, I have deleted my user profile to clear up issues and it worked 4 times now, but it only works for about 4 days now, first time it worked for a month, then a week, now only several days.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea why all my different open office programs keep crashing.

I have been making notepad ++ text files, putting them on a flash and transferring to a computer that has a working version of open office, but this is a temporary solution.

Help?
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
Windows 7 Home Premium

Hater of Microsoft products minus xbox
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

How often do you restart your computer?
CaydenRyan

Post by CaydenRyan »

Nearly every day, I think I have solved the problem actually.

It was saving it's temporary data to AppsData Temp which was conflicting with another programs temporary files, now it's just trying to find what the original program was that was causing grief.

No crash as of yet, fingers crossed.

So for others having this problem, if this works its as simple as changing the temp file path to something other than /AppsData/Temp

I changed mine to /AppsData/OpenOfficeTemp
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
Windows 7 Home Premium

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you have multiple drives, it might be better to place the temp file path on a different drive.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

I still get occasional crashes and am still watching this topic. Where do you change the temp file path? Directions please - thanks :)
CaydenRyan

Post by CaydenRyan »

Go into Tools - Options - Paths click the Temporary files one, click Edit, and change it to a predetermined folder mine was /OpenOfficeTemp

And a Different drive would work to, anywhere on your computer "in theory" should work properly
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
Windows 7 Home Premium

Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Thanks CaydenRyan.

I see I had already changed the path to My Documents. Ah ha! But I had forgotten to tell Carbonite not to scan that temporary file. Let's see how it goes for awhile.

Like I said, crashes have gone way down, but they still occasionally happen when I try to save a document.
CaydenRyan

Post by CaydenRyan »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of products like Carbonite, I would much rather save all important data to an external hard drive and go from there.

But good luck on the issues, mine seem to have ceased.
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
Windows 7 Home Premium