[Solved] Stuck in Document Recovery

Discuss the word processor
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Stuck in Document Recovery

Post by RoryOF »

The documents themselves are not affected; they live on your computer, independent of the program you need to read them. The recovery prompt is occurring because for some reason OpenOffice thinks it needs to recover a document; this sometimes occurs if OpenOffice or the computer crashes. If it cannot recover the document, then you need to remove either the recovery.xcu or the registrymodifications.xcu file (not sure which it will be because I haven't a Mac). This is easiest done by, with OpenOffice closed, deleting or renaming your User Profile file, which is a chain of files under the directory /Users/<my name>/Library/Application Support/Open Office.org/3/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office. If you can manoeuvre to the /Users/ directory above the <my name> directory, where <my name> is replaced by your logon name, then you can right click on <my name> and select Rename. Call it <Myname.old> (best thing to do) or just delete it. Then restart OpenOffice. You will then need, using /File /Open, to point to each file you wish to open, as Recent Documents enries will have been deleted, but the files will still be on the computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Gooshlem

Post by Gooshlem »

Thanks for this.

For some reason when I went back to OO the documents were OK... I am so glad, because I don't know if i could have navigated all those complexities! But many thanks to all who answered me!
Open Office 3.3 installed on iMac OS X 10.7.2
Gooshlem

Post by Gooshlem »

it seems as though all i needed to do was to not try to "recover", but just click on cancel. Then it opened fine, oddly enough.
thanks for your help!
Open Office 3.3 installed on iMac OS X 10.7.2
KENNY2080

Re: Stuck in Document Recovery

Post by KENNY2080 »

I am using Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on a ASUS laptop running WinXp Professional. The Problem I have is: In the recient past I was working on a Writer Doc and the battery ran out power. When I started the Word Program 2 files were shown to Recover. 1 was recovered OK and the other failed and offered to save it with % and 20's after each name of the file. It offered to save the file on the C:\ drive were all my programs are. I changed the path to where I save most of my Word Doc on the D:\ drive, with a specific Dir for Recovered files, so I can delele them after I have verified what was recovered. The file Name is: Kens%20Bread%20Machine%20Recipe[1] . After I verified the orginal file was OK and complete, I deleted the file in the special Dir I created for Recovered files. Now every time Word starts it attempts to recover the file Kens%20Bread%20Machine%20Recipe[1] and fails. Today I did a search for just .Doc files and found 1 in the Recyle Bin with the same name. I emptied the Recyle Bin so the file is GONE. I DON'T WANT THAT FILE, I DON'T NEED THAT FILE, I WANT IT DELETED AND I WANT WORD TO STOP ATTEMPTING TO RECOVER IT!

Please help Ken
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 WinXp Professional
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

As in the post above yours, when asked to recover click cancel. if that doesn't fix it reset the user profile http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 74&t=12426
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Marcos989

Post by Marcos989 »

Win 7 64-bit, OO v 3.4.1
Excell.xlxs Speadsheet stuck in Recovery.
Calc & Writer open and access all other files other than the one I want to open.
I have followed the procedures offered above to apparently no avail.

I then used Microsoft XML Converter ("open with menu") to convert the xlxs to 97-03 .xlx......then it opened...slowly (1min).
I then saved in the same (slowly again, 1 min) and saved 2 back-ups somewhere else in .xlx & odt.
All working again.

I now will stop forcing shutdowns and save normally since I may have caused this with my impatience.
Thank's for the help above.
Not sure why it is working but it is so I'm happy.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7, 64 bit
frphil

Post by frphil »

jdpipe wrote:FWIW on Linux with OOo 3.2, this is done by deleting as follows (in a terminal window):

rm ~/.openoffice.org/3/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Recovery.xcu
Thanks for this post.

I have a different OS but it still worked - Win 7

I was able to do a full Computer search *.xcu and got a list - and had 3 x *recovery*.xcu files.

an OO crash/lock up a while back hit 5 open files - which were successfully recovered - but .... some old file "Untitled 1" kept interrupting my opening up my template doc shortcut. It would "successfully" run through the Recovery process [unrecovered] and then open my template - 30 seconds of annoyance I can do without !!!

I did searches for the offending file - nil - deleting the 3 files above resolved the issue

Thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7 home premium SP1
briheart

Post by briheart »

I had same frustrating problem running OpenOffice 4.0.0 on XP x64.

I finally found the offending file: C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\OpenOffice\4\user\registrymodifications.xcu (note I was logged in as Admin).

But instead of deleting the file and losing saved settings, I edited it to remove the ITEM's containing "recovery".

First I killed OpenOffice with taskmgr, then I edited the above file (notepad should work) as follows:

I removed each of the 2 text strings that started with
<item oor:path="/org.openoffice.Office.Recovery
and ended with </item>".

Save the file and restart OpenOffice!
OpenOffice 4.0.0 XP x64 SP 2