Doc/Docx Support in OpenOffice

Discuss the word processor
dpcowx

Doc/Docx Support in OpenOffice

Post by dpcowx »

I can currently open a DOCX file in OOo 3. That's excellent. However, when one attempts to make a change and save the file, it prompts to save as and ODT file. That's a bit of a shame as our users are young children and this greatly confuses them. Is there any way to save in DOCX format so that we don't end up with two separate files (i.e. the original DOCX file and the modified ODT file)?

If not, what is the recommended workflow for converting to DOCX from ODT that does not rely on an internet connection (i.e. please don't suggest web-based services as our lab computers don't necessarily have internet connections)? Do I need to be overly concerned with loosing formatting and other information?

Also, how can we automate the process of converting a DOC/DOCX file to ODT? In other words, how can I use OpenOffice to perform this conversion for me under the hood without actually launching the OpenOffice GUI?
Hagar Delest

Re: DOC/DOCX Support in OpenOffice

Post by Hagar Delest »

See: Save in 2007 format? (please search the forum also before posting, this is a very frequent question).
dpcowx wrote:when one attempts to make a change and save the file, it prompts to save as and ODT file. That's a bit of a shame as our users are young children and this greatly confuses them.
You're kidding I hope? The real shame is to teach them to save in a proprietary format that leads to vendor lock-in troubles. Using DOCX format is playing the MS game. Why not use a true ISO format that is a standard for several years and insures the safety of your data? Kids have to be taught that it's not because an application is the most used that it has to be used!
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
dpcowx

Post by dpcowx »

Let's just say that in *our* particular case, for better or worse, we need to be able to work with both DOC/DOCX and ODT formats. Migration from Office to OOo is a slow process that I'm trying to address. Could someone please help with the original post while refraining from pushing their particular agenda/preferences?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please read the threads, there are some hints. Again, if you had searched, you would have found many hits for topics about docx. If you're trying to migrate to OOo, the file format is part of the plan, it can't be put aside.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Flaxthejute

Re: Doc/Docx Support in OpenOffice

Post by Flaxthejute »

AFAIK, It is not currently possible to save as DOCX (this would have been as easy to type as a rant about ODF format etc. - you have your reasons for wanting to do things your way - this puts the OPEN in OPEN source, people)

If you go to tools->options->scroll down to load/save. You'll find an option to always save your documents in a variety of formats. See if this helps.
LibreOffice 7.4ish on Windows 10 (home sweet home) and LibreOffice 7.4something on a Peppermint Devuan-running ex-chromebook.
PGAGA
Volunteer

Re: Doc/Docx Support in OpenOffice

Post by PGAGA »

Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Flaxthejute wrote:AFAIK, It is not currently possible to save as DOCX (this would have been as easy to type as a rant about ODF format etc. - you have your reasons for wanting to do things your way - this puts the OPEN in OPEN source, people)

If you go to tools->options->scroll down to load/save. You'll find an option to always save your documents in a variety of formats. See if this helps.
Please read previous DocX threads, so I do not have to repeat myself. :-)

Saving in DocX format is part of the Go-oo.org branch of OOo.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2