Crash, Crash, Crash

Discuss the word processor

Crash, Crash, Crash

Postby bebofpenge » Thu May 28, 2009 2:14 am

Writer keeps crashing on me. Try to print a document - Crash. Try to open another document - Crash. Send an error report - Crash.

I have even uninstalled OpenOffice and downloaded and installed the latest version, but it still crashes all the time. I have scanned the OpenOffice folder with Avast antivirus and Malwarebytes anti malware program but can find nothing wrong there. Any suggestions?
OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP
bebofpenge

Re: Crash, Crash, Crash

Postby Hagar Delest » Thu May 28, 2009 10:56 am

Try to reset your OOo user profile. But during the welcome process, don't transfer your personal data (if you had 2.x before), former configuration files might corrupt the new profile.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.0.1 on Windows 7 and Xubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander)
Hagar Delest

Postby mjschmelzer » Thu May 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Me too. I am using OS X 10.4.11 and OS 10.5.6. I have reinstalled Open Office aqua several times. It crashes every time I try to open a file. It has become completely unusable, though last week it worked fine. Any clue what is going on?

MJ
OOo 3.1.X on Mac OSx Leopard + OS X 10.4.11
mjschmelzer

Postby JesseDaniel » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:48 pm

I also experience constant and persistent crashing of openoffice writer.

My ability to identify what might be the cause of these crashes diminishes each time that writer crashes due to a more and more insignificant action taken by me the user. The problem originally began when -- having opened a .doc file originally created in microsoft word with openoffice writer -- I attempted to export the document as a pdf. Writer crashed. Upon reopening the file -- now having saved the file as .odt before exporting to pdf -- all endnote numerals throughout the entire document were changed to times new roman font at a font size matching the document font size, with no ability to change their attributes.

By now though, any action taken (sending the file by email, converting the file from .odt to .rtf, converting the file to pdf, whether the mouse was moved to the wrong corner of the screen), crashes openoffice writer. Deleting/resetting user profile does not solve this problem. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling openoffice suite: this does not solve the issue.
Please advise.

Many thanks.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
JesseDaniel

Postby RoryOF » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:56 pm

Disconnect from the Internet (for safety) and disable your Antivirus. Does stability return? If so, time to consider another antiviris. I use (with no crashes) AVGfree.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Xubuntu 13.10 and Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Writer