soffice.bin is using all my CPU

Discuss the word processor
bottojoh

soffice.bin is using all my CPU

Post by bottojoh »

I am running XP, and had Office installed. After a trial period with OpenOffice I uninstalled my MSOffice, and can no longer open .doc files. soffice.bin uses 99 percent of CPU time and the program just hangs. Any ideas? Thanks!
TerryE
Volunteer

Re: soffice.bin is using all my CPU

Post by TerryE »

There are memory leeks in Soffice — you can still excite them particularly in Calc. Are you running in Quickstart mode — that is with the Soffice Icon running in your Tray? If so try right clicking on it and turning off quickstart mode. This will ensure that Soffice exits when you close your last document. OK, this will add 10-20 secs onto opening the next when spinning up soffice, but this rebirth clears down all the memory that has leaked and returns it to the system.
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
RonIA
Volunteer

Re: soffice.bin is using all my CPU

Post by RonIA »

If the QuickStart suggestion does not work try these.

Go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs
Select OpenOffice.org - Repair
(Don't recall for sure if this will give the option to open MS Word, etc. with OpenOffice.org.)

If you reinstall OpenOffice.org make sure you do have the checkmarks in the boxes for opening MS Word, etc. with OpenOffice.org.
Ron from Iowa, USA