OO says: "Unable to load graphics conversion filter"

Discuss the word processor

OO says: "Unable to load graphics conversion filter"

Postby JJJoseph » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:10 am

When clients send me .doc files, I get the following OpenOffice message: when trying to open the file: "Unable to load graphics conversion filter"

What "graphics conversion filter" is OO trying to load? Or is OO trying to load a MS graphics conversion filter?
OOo 3.4.X on MS Windows 7 + Blackberry 10
JJJoseph

Re: OO says: "Unable to load graphics conversion filter"

Postby TheGurkha » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Can you attach one of the files here if it is less than 128K? Or get a colleague to create a dummy file with one or two of the graphics in and then attach that?

[Forum] How to attach a document here If they are bigger than that you could use one of the free file-hosting sites like MediaFire.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Postby JJJoseph » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:25 am

As it turned out, the problem was not be what I've described. After I get the message, the document tries to load in "Wordpad" instead of OpenOffice. If I save the doc file and then open OO Writer, I can open the doc OK. However, I'd prefer to open the doc by double-clicking on the Thunderbird email attachment. For some reason, I couldn't get "doc" files to open with OpenOffice. It keeps reverting to WordPad, which throws up the confusing messages. It looks like a Windows problem, not an OO problem . . .

I guess my question should have been be: How to marry "doc" files to OpenOffice instead of Wordpad? My Windows 2000 doesn't seem to want to accommodate the idea in a sensible way. (1 hour later:) I think I've got them married to each other now. Not as easy as it appears to be.

I had to open My Documents>Folder Options and then associate DOC files with OpenOffice.org 1.1 Text Document (not "Microsoft Word Document").

Why doesn't this work when DOCs are married to "Microsoft Word Document" (which is what the file is)? I don't know.

Why "OpenOffice.org 1.1" when I'm using OpenOffice.org 3.x? I don't know.

How does WordPad get involved? I don't know.

Thanks for listening as I bumble through this. I'm including my results in case they may help someone else.
JJJoseph

Postby TheGurkha » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:16 pm

JJJoseph wrote:Why doesn't this work when DOCs are married to "Microsoft Word Document" (which is what the file is)? I don't know.

What that pairing does is to tell the operating system that .doc files are Word Document Files. By changing that information to say it is an OOo text document, the OS will no longer recognise it as a Word document, it sees it as an OOo text document. So if you double-click it to open it the OS will fire up the program it has associated with OOo text documents.

Before you'd done that, the OS fired up the program that was been associated with the .doc Word Document File type. In your case, because you don't have Word, it fired up WordPad because WordPad can open Word documents, and was the program associated with that file type.

However, although you've got the right result what you've done isn't the right way to do it. The trick is to leave the pairing you've changed set to .doc files being Microsoft Word Docs (which is true and correct), but to change the program that is associated with that file type. What you've done is change the file type definition in the OS.

You should leave the file definition as it is and tell the OS to use OOo to open it, even though it is a Word file, not tell the OS it isn't a Word file.

This describes the process:

[Tutorial] Setting the default program for MS Office formats

JJJoseph wrote:Why "OpenOffice.org 1.1" when I'm using OpenOffice.org 3.x? I don't know.

I think that's the version of the OOo file format in use, not the version of the application.

If this has answered your question please go to your first post and use the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can use the green tick icon at the same time if you like.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Postby JJJoseph » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks for taking the time to help me figure this out. If I don't associate the doc format with OO, the linked application reverts to Wordpad. I understand that the file format should be doc>Word, but my Windows appears to not see my doc files as Word files, and so the doc>OO relationship is the only one that works. I know that it's not the right way to do it, but it works. BTW, I don't have this quirk with my xls or otp files. It's just a doc file quirk.
JJJoseph

Postby Hagar Delest » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:24 pm

I think that TheGurkha has correctly explained the problem. .doc is not recognized as MS Word file if the file association is not set to open .doc files with MS Word. What is strange is your last sentence: do you mean that if you set the .xls file association with OOo, it still shows .xls files as MS Excel files?
AOO 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 19.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby JJJoseph » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:57 pm

To get OO to open files I must register the file types as follows:

DOC > OpenOffice.org 1.1 Text Document
XLS > Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Worksheet

If I register DOC as a Microsoft Word file type, my O/S tries to open the doc file with WordPad, not OpenOffice. With xls files registered as MS Excel type, OO can open the files normally. It's confusing because it's inconsistent.
JJJoseph

Postby Hagar Delest » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:11 pm

JJJoseph wrote:If I register DOC as a Microsoft Word file type, my O/S tries to open the doc file with WordPad, not OpenOffice. With xls files registered as MS Excel type, OO can open the files normally. It's confusing because it's inconsistent.

Indeed, Windows OS is rather inconsistent therefore confusing. It just means that the registry is keeping hold of the .doc association. Try to search a key related to wordpad in the registry.
AOO 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 19.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Return to Writer