[Hint] How did I fix my ODT file

Discuss the word processor
jmac86

Re: [Hint] How did I fix my ODT file

Post by jmac86 »

Dropbox just saved my life. Thank you for all your time. Much appreciated.
openoffice 4.1 on mac ox 10.9.5
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

jmac86 wrote:The original document was used between 3 computers from dropbox. Do you know if dropbox stores previous copies of files?
You really are in luck because Dropbox does store previous versions. I think you have to log in to your web Dropbox account to see previous versions of files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

jmac86 wrote:The original document was used between 3 computers from dropbox. Do you know if dropbox stores previous copies of files?
Why are you asking us that? The reliable source of such info is dropbox.com.
https://www.dropbox.com/security
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
LidlessEye

Post by LidlessEye »

Hi guys,

I have a huge problem with a corrupted file - I can't extract it after making it a .zip-file because it tells me the archive itself is corrupt!
And now i don't know what else i can do - it's not much, but it's still like a year of research on it... :crazy:

Could someone maybe help me repair it?
Attachments
Tolkiens Welt.odt
It'sthe research to my Tolkien-Lexika
(31.34 KiB) Downloaded 3270 times
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Wibdows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I could get nothing from your damaged file; perhaps some other forum volunteer with more powerful recovery tools or more recovery experience may, but I don't hold out much hope. In the meantime do the following:

Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.

Do the above soonest - do not wait until someone else checks your file, as delay decreases possibility of any residual information being recovered!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LidlessEye wrote:I have a huge problem with a corrupted file
See below - the content.xml file becomes very heavily corrupted shortly after the start and there is little? no? hope of recovering data from it. See, for example, the many instances of corruption like "</tFextkb tGܩ</textiuoK->" which should probably read "</text :p>", in content.xml. You could, on a different PC, rename the .ODT file to .ZIP and unzip it. Extract content.xml. Rename it to content.TXT. Edit it with Notepad or Writer and attempt to find and delete all the formatting tags, and all the corruption, leaving just the text (which seems to be in German?).

Code: Select all

<office:body>
		<office:text text:use-soft-page-breaks="true">
			<text:sequence-decls>
				<text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Illustration"/>
				<text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Table"/>
				<text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Text"/>
				<text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Drawing"/>
			</text:sequence-decls>
			<text:p text:style-name="P15">Mustername (Engl. Original/ „Bedeutung“) [Kürzel]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P13"/>
			<text:p text:style-name="P12">Glossar</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P6"/>
			<text:p text:style-name="P1">
				<text:span text:style-name="T1">Adler</text:span>
				<text:span text:style-name="T2">:</text:span>
			</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Armenel [WitN]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Baranthor [WitN]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Beleram [WitN]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Gwaihir, der Herr der Winde („Windherr“, Windlord)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Landroval („Breitschwinge“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Meneldor („Himmelsherr“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Thorondor („Adlerkönig“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Wilyador [LCG]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2"/>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">
				<text:span text:style-name="T1">Drachen</text:span>:</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Drogoth [BfME II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Scatha der Lindwurm (Scatha the Worm/ „Übeltäter, Feind“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Smaug<text:line-break/>Úrgost [WitN]<text:line-break/>
				<text:span text:style-name="T1">Drúedain</text:span>:</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P1">Drû-Buri-Drû [LCG]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Ghân-buri-Ghân, Häuptling der Drúedain</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">
				<text:line-break/>
				<text:span text:style-name="T1">Elben</text:span>:</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Amroth („Hinaufklettern“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Andriel [WitN]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Anendel [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Angmir [WitN]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Anglor [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Aranel [TTA]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Argalad [MEQ]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Arwen Undómiel („königliche Maid“ „Abendstern“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Balglin [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Belenthrod [WotR]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Belurion [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Berembor [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Caladhir [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Calaglin [LotR I]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Celeborn („hohes Silber“)<text:line-break/>Celebrimbor („Silberhand“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Celebrían („silberne Königin“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Celebrílad [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Celebrim [BfME II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Celebring [LotR III]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Círdan, der Schiffsbauer</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Daeron, der Spielmann</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Dimtilion [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Dínendal [LotR I]<text:line-break/>Dior Aranel („der Schöne“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Eärendil („der Strahlende“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Elaur<text:span text:style-name="T8">ë</text:span> [WitN]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Elladan („Elbenmensch“)<text:line-break/>
				<text:soft-page-break/>Elrohir („Elbenritter“)<text:line-break/>Elrond („Sternendach“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Elros [H II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Elviondel [LotR II]<text:line-break/>Elwe, der Elbenfürst/ König Thingol</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Elwen [S-O]<text:line-break/>Elwing („Sternengischt“)<text:line-break/>Ereinion Gil-galad („Sprössling der Könige“ / „Strahlender Stern“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Erestor</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Erethón [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Farambar [LotR II]</text:p>
				<text:span text:style-name="T2">F</text:span>
				<text:span text:style-name="T8">ëanor</text:span>
			<text:p text:style-name="P5">Feren [H II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P1">Fereveldir [LotR I]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P1">Ferevellon [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P1">Figwit [LotR I]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P1">Firnmereth [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P1">Galadel [S-O]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Galadriel („mit einem Strahlenkranz gekrönte Maid“)<text:line-break/>Galion</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Galdor, von der Grauen Anfurten („edles Licht“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Galron [WitN]<text:line-break/>Gildor Inglorion („Herr der Sterne“ / „Sohn von Inglor“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Githramir [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Glorfindel („Goldenhaar“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Glorhirin [WitN]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Golradir [LotR I]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Haldir (aus Lothlórien)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Halladol [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Henamarth Flusslied (Henamarth Riversong) [LCG]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Idrial [TTA]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Legolas („Grünes Laub“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Lethuin [H II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Lhunurion [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Lianna [TH]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Lindir<text:line-break/>Lúthien Tinúviel („Nachtigall“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Melisilion [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Mirlonde [LCG]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Nestadion [LotR I]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Nilfaleth [LotR II]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">Nimrodel („Dame der weißen Grotte“)</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="P2">ext:style-nt:style-name="P2">Lindir<text:line-break/>Ohtaring [LotR III]</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name=Ordu]</del („Dame der weißen Grotte“)</text:p>
				<texOroyle">Haldir (aus Lothlórien)</text:p>
				<text:p text:s:p>
					<tameT. H<text)h>
								<text:p text:style-name="P2">Angmir [WitN]</text:Rioduext:p>
								<text:p text:style-name="P1">Firnmereth [LoRöme“-name="P2">Meneldor („Himmelsherr“)</text:p>
								<text:p text:style-name="P2">Thorondor)h><texP1">F<text3Ah=Ort:label-fozWo.ties style-name="P2">ext:style-nt:style-name="P2">Lindireißenline-br="P2"(el (⯾ext:style-nt:style-name="P2">LindireißenF<text3Ah=Ort:label-fozWo.ties style-name="P2">ext:gwit text:level="4" text:style-name="Bnc Grotptgm[Witel-pos:stylriGnext:p text:style-name="P2">Ghân-buri-Ghân, Häuptling der Drúedain</text:p>
											<text:p text:sedaame="P2">Lhunurion [LotR II]</text:p>
											<teetyle-name="P2">Erestor</text:p>
											<text:p text:style-name="P2">Erethón [LotR II]</text:p>
											<text:p text:style-name="P2">Farambar [LotR II]</text:p>
											<textna<text:p text:style-name="P2">Thorondor)h><texP1">T)Bnc Grotptgm[Witel-pos:stylriGnext:p text:style-name="P2">Ghân-buri-Ghân, HäuptliuoK-rondo4ebhaftex FAngiiBt:pme="P1">Gs></IJ FAnreevel-label-alignment text:label-followed-by="listtab" text:list-tab-stop-position="HbWo.ties see="P2">Galron [WitN]<text:line-break/>Gi.n</teext:sYin<text:p ttext:p ttext:p ttext:p ttext:p ttext:p ttext:p ttext:p tGalron [ntsspan text:style-name="T1">Adler</text:span>
														<tep ttext:p ttext:p tteSt:style-naan>
															<tep ttext:p ik-tab-stop-position="HbWo.ties see="P2">Galron [Witf="Bullet_20_Symbols" text:bullet-char="◦">ofTreebeaine-break/>Glwxt:gwit text:level=oxt:span><teo:teDzuSchiffsba)textuties sem Strf>GalrSkinWo.kxt:style-name="P2">Balglin [LotR II]</teuext:bgek .BeechbriGxt:style-name="P2">Balglin [LotR II]</tFextkb tGܩ</textiuoK->Galr*uick-namxt:style-name="P2">Balglin [LotR II]</t.L:margroot<tep ttext:p ik-tab-stop-position="HbWo.ties see=Loc">Gblaton [Wit<styas>GalrLeafloc"xt:style-name="P2">Balglin [LotR II]</t.Rootnt-scil<tep ttext:p ik-tab-stop-position="HbWo.ties style-name="T2">F</text:span>
																	<text:sSchlatieiit rfarea, WiThot oܩ</Biit nreiܩ<Kf>Ge text:level=oxt:span><teo:teDzuSchiffsba)textuties sem Strf>GalrSkinWo.kxt:style-name="P2">Balglin [LotR II]</teuext:bgek .BeechbriGxt:style-name="P2">Balglin [LotR II]</tFextkb tGܩ</textiuoK->Galr*uick-namxt:style-name="P2">Balglin [LotR II]</t.L:margroot<eiß</teiltrf>GWt:plißlin [LotR II]</tFextkb tGܩ</textiuoK->Galr*uick-namxt:style-name="P2">Balglin [LotR II]</t.L:margroot<eiß</teiltrf>GWt:plißlin [LotR II]</tFextkb tGܩ</textiuoK->Galr*uick-namxt:style-name="P2">Balglin [LotR II]</t.L:margroot<eiß</teiltrf>GWt:plißlin [LsGM"P2">Balglin [LotR II]</t.L:margroot<eiß</teiltrf>GWt:pliur8Hobbiem Strf>GalrSkinWo.kxt:style-name="P2">Balglin [><text:p text:style-name="P2">Henawt:styltyle-bullet text:level="3" text:style-nevel-"8" text:style-name="Bullet_20_SymirintR alPwldbu"P2">LethuiDaahlenc Groóscameg0 Adalgap><Adalgap>="3"-tac>LethuiDaahlenc Groóscameg0 Adalgap><Adalgap>="3"-ta3on-and-spalgaoext-"8" te (㦁eap>Adalgap><Adalgap>="3"-ta3Bilbo]</ilbo]Baggins">Golradir [LotR I]</text:p>
																							<teetylext:p tGalron [ntsspan text:stylrOtext:p>DorspaDorsptGalron [ntsspan text:stylrOtext:p>D:stypaD:styptGalron [ntsspan text:stylrOtext:p>F/teypaF/teyptGalron [n)<Kf>Ge text:level=oxt:span><teo:teDzHagypaF/teyptGalron [Ģ-sabel-followed-by="listtab" text:list-tab-stoprbeliBnc Grz f]</aD: Beetylext:p tGalron [ntsspan text:stylrOtext:p>Dorsrobel-ame=alrxt:p Wo.tiettt-page-brza613"/algaAnralrLeafloc"xt:sKmxt:stylaݴ></text:l:level=oxt:spantext:robel-ame=alrxt:p Wo.tiettt-page-brza613"/algaAMinto:style-nt:style->DorsroGithe=Ordullord)</text:p>
																								<text:p text:style-name="P2"a" te M[TH]</text:p>
																									<text:p text:style-name="P0cm" fo:margin-left="4.445cm"/>
																								</stylahân, Häu"a" te M[TH]</text:p>
																								<text:p text:style-name=c styltHܓwame="P0cm" fo:margin-lefmevel=t:styxt:style-name="P0cm" fo:margin-left="4.445cm"/>
																							</styla <textgext:p tex>Liavaame="Pxt:p gyptR tiettt-page-brza613"/algaAMinto:style-nGext:label-folloza613"elGxt:lalck-nambrza613"/:styl [Lt:list-level-posBsteu3"elG .list-level-posBste-naaAMgu3"ist-></styla <textgextnawt:styltyle-bullet text:level="3" te-ta3Bilck-vsBstptex-pa“P0cm" ymbols" text:bullet-char="◦">
																										<style:list-level-properties text:list-level-position-and-space-mode="label-alignment">
																											<style:list-level-label-alignment text:label-followed-by="listtab" text:list-tab-stop-position="3.81cm" fo:text-indent="-0.635cm" fo:margin-W="listtab"t vel-style-bullet text:level="5" text:style-name="Bullet_20_Symbols" text:bullet-char="◦">
																												<style:list-level-properties text:list-level-position-and-spaclist-level-label-ullet-char="◦">
																													<style:list-level-propeaeme="մiesav:style-naLlevel-propeaeme="մiesav:style-naLlevel-pstyDzHagypaF/teyptGalron [Ģ-sabel-followed-bPxt:p gyptR tiettt-page-brza613"/algaAM4Gärtnce-mbrza613.brza613Ggronceext:p text:style-name="P2page-brza6Hamfxt:pLúthiwhmtab"tza6gromgeemargiaffee-name=Ordu]</del („Dame der weißen GzF"T1">Adler</text:span>
																													<text:span text:style-name="T2">:</st-xt:p gyisttprope"0" text:name="Table"/>
																												<text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Text"/>
																												<text:[ntsspan tbel-fe"/>rm="none" fo:color="#1e1e1e" style:font-nattext:p ik-tab-stop-position=peaeme=itN]<n=peaem</tex"#1e1e1style:font-nattext:p ik-tab-stop-position=mipeaeme="Trza613"/algel-properties t"/algelgne" fls"odEalronD/ürst/ König Thingoext:s05cm"glin [LotR II]</t.L:margroot<eißOxt:style-name="P2"a" te "glin [LotR II]</t.L:margroot<eißOxt:style-name="P.635gnmesKmxt:me=xt:nbißOǭ3lnI]</tFextkb13"/Gt:s.635g"glin [Ltkb13"benmensch“)<text:line-break/>
																																		<text:soft-page-break/>E,dent="-0.635cĉ]</tFextkb13"/Gt:s.635g"glin [Ltkb1pr¯:text-indent="-0.635cm" fo:margin-W="listtab"t 635cmme="P pw3tWilli .Willie"T1i)ler</text:span>
																																	<text:span text:style-namr:stalglin [>
																																		<text:p text:style-name="P2">Henawt:styltyle-bullet text:level="3" teoS2Foxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowle-namr:stalglin [><text:p text:style-name="P2">Henawt:styltyle-bullet text:level="3" teoS2Foxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowle-namr:stalglin [><text:p text:style-name="P2">Henawt:styltyle-bullet text:level="3" teoS2Foxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowle-namr:stalglin [><text:p text:st</tFextkb13:pldtelerstalglin [>
																																						<level-properties>
																																							<"3.81mevel-porsr:stalglin [>
																																								<text:p text:style-name="P2">Henawoxt:pzlonT"eaw[nt:He:strooext4Same="eݴ der Hu teoHe:sHa:He:strowotr="㎰ textHe:strowotr="㎰ textHe:strowotr="㎰ textHe:strowotr="㎰ textHe:strowotr="㎰ textHe:strowotr="㎰ textHe:strowotextHh13"/algaAnralrLeafloc"xt:sKmxt:stylaݴ><sao:margin-W=Ya61tylaݴ>oc"xt:owerLotR II]ext:p><tch13"/algaAnralrLeafloc"xt:s=h3b-glipia positioe-nam-l-propetextstylrt:bullet-chan tII]exf<sao:Bowchan tIoe-nam-lCottoe-namr:stalglin [>
																																													<text:p text:style-namMFextkb13"/Gt:s.635g"glin [Ltkb1pr¯:text-inde5g":plißlin [LotR II]</tFextkb tGܩ</t㎰OhvmMFextkb13"/Gt:s.635g"glin [Ltkb1pr¯:text-inde5g":plißlin [LotR II]</tFextkb tGܩ</t㎰OhvmMFextkb13"/Gt:s.635g"glin [Ltkb1pr¯:text-inde5g":plißlin [LotR II]</tFextkb tGܩ</t㎰OhvmMFextkb13"/Gt:s.635g"glin [Ltkb1pr¯:text-inde5g":plißlin [LotR II]</tFecelseTt_20_ofoN]<temݴ>
																																																<satext:li:margin-lseTN:Cxt-inde5g":plmxt:p text:style-namMFextkb13"/Gt:s.635gCarlpr¯:tbst="-0.635cm" fo:margin-W="listtab"t 635cmme="P pw3tean tIoe-nam-lCottoe-namr:stalglin [>
																																																	<text:p text:sty]sttab"t 635cmme="P pw3tean tIoe-nam-lCoIoe-km-lCoaMagypaF/teyptGalrone.lrone/tFexs35cm" osition="HbWo.ties see=Loc">Gblaton [Wit<styas>GalrLeafloc"xt:style-name="P2">Balglin [LotR IWebdluon="[Lomherr“)</text:p>
																																																		<text:p text:style-name="P2">Thorondor="HbWo.-brza613"/alR IWeb,iet_20am-l-prgooor („howotr="㎰ textHe:strowotr="㎰ textHe:strowotr=o۫armon="3.81cm" /et_20am-l/text:p><text:p textip>
																																																				<textlevelSl-pzo [Ltkb1pr¯:text-inde5g":plißlin [LotR II]<t>
																																																							<wOcomezoo [Ltkb1pr¯:text-inde5g":plißlin [LotR II]<t>
																																																										<wOcomezoo [Ltkb1g [Lin [Loxchnxt:s=hRowle-rowot3lP2">Blèu5MFextgro13:pleak/>E,dent="-0.635cĉ]</tFextkb13"/GtlĢrzatR yP, HäMugworttFextkb13"/GtlĢrzatR yP,nghextkb1eSCworŬet-chanvrŲe:st.Milt:sMilt:Bnt="-xtkb1eSCworŬet-chanvrŲMr wo [>
																																																										<tglin [ăŲtnce-mbrza613.brza613Ggronceext:p text:style-name="P2page-brza6Hamfxt:pLúthiwhmtab"tza6gromgeemapr¯8<t>
																																																													<wOcomezoo [Ltkb1pr¯:text-inde5g":p="[chtext:display-outline-leNel="0" texKunameN"Text"/>
																																																													<text:[ntsspan tbP IIbaWit<Lotlleudpr¯lralrLeafloc"xt:s=h3b-glipia positioeGi texKuuaipia posrnz gekliIJxt:ppia posrnz gekliIJxt:ppia posrnz gekliIJxt:ppia potexKuuaipia posrnz gekliIJxt:ppia posrnz gekliIJxt:ppia posrn-leNel="0" texKunameN"Text"/>
																																																															<text:[ntsspan tbP IIbaWit<Lotlleudpr¯lralrLeafloc"xt:s=h3b-glipia positioeGi texKuuaipia posrnz gekliIJxt:ppia posrnz gekliIJxt:ppia posrnz gekliIJxt:ppia potexKI]</tFextkb thân, Häu"a" te M[TH]</text:p>
																																																																		<text:p text:styc-l-label-lŵ"a" te M[TH]dtion=mipeaeme=evelSl-pzo [Ltkb1pr´:p text:style-namMFextkb13"/Gt:s.635gvel-labeldble"elworxt:aMKxt:level="3" teoS2Foxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowlLtkb1pr´:p ohhTlkobrasP2">Byle-na-nam-liop-poxt:s.63-naroarekliįFoxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowle-namr:stalglin [>ohhTlketGܩ<>
																																																																				<te.ketGܩ<>
																																																																							<te.ketGܰ.635cĉ]</tFextbrbe.ketm"P pw3tean tIoe-nam-lCoIoe-km-lCoaMagypm" fo:textnaext:style-namMFextkb13"/Gt:s.635gCarlpr¯:tbst="-0.635cm" pHildifonopebst="-0.635civel/,ist-leiext:r.owlLtg(Tbst="-0.635civel/,ist-leiext:r.owlLtg(Tbst="-0.635civel/,ippr´oeLigypaF/teyptGalrone.lrone/tFexs35cm"iHa" te M[TH]</text:p>
																																																																								<text:p text:styc-l-label-lŵMLrI]</tǐippiext-inlŵMLrI]</2page-brza6Hamfxt:pLúthiwhmtab"tza6gromgeemapr¯8<tsee="P2">Galron [Witf="Bullet_20_Symbols" text:bue۴hS/Gtilalglin [><text:p text:style-name="P2">Henawoxt:pzlon">Henawoxt:pzlon">Henawoxt:pzlon">HenLobelia">Bybelia"enawvHäe-">Henawoxt:pzlon">HenLobelia">Bybelia"enawvHäe-">HenadegLobeliia">Bextaàgesawoxpoxt:pos?ť-b㎰ textHe:strowotr="㎰ tu-page-break/>E,dent="-0.635cĉ]</tFextkb13"/Gt:s=igߨowotr=Mül:p tv9>Henawot4S tvpaF/teyptGalron"P1"><text:span text:style-name="T1">imlM[TH]dtitiaBixt:le-na7Foxt:He:strowlLtkb1pr´:p ohhTlkobrasP2">Byle-na-nam-liop-poxt:s.63-naroarekliįFoxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowle-namr:kliįFoxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowle-namr:kliįFoxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowle-namr:kliįFoxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowle-namr:kliįFoxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowle-namr:kliįFoxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowle-namr:kliįFoxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowle-namr:kliįFoxt:.S2Foxt:He:strowle-nahmSirowlehliįFoxe:strowl-àtextHe:strowotr=o۫armon="3.81c-alignmnicb13list-tab-stop-position="6.985cm" fo:text-indent="-0.635cm"
In this situation, I would

1 Stop using the PC - do not even switch it OFF or allow it to hybernate

2 Try to recover the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file. You should either get back the file as it was when you last opened it or, if you have AutoSave switched on, as the file was when it was last AutoSaved.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for what files to look for and how to do it.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
LidlessEye

Post by LidlessEye »

I think my problem here would be, that I saved the file on an USB-stick everytime and probably disconnected it too early the last time :?

PS: Yes, it is part German.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The premature removal of a USB stick can be fatal to that copy of the file. However, erased temporary files may still be recovered by the method I and John_Ha have outline. The sooner this is done, the better chance of success.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Here's the best I could do with it (only two pages):
Attachments
Tolkiens Welt_recovered.odt
(27.11 KiB) Downloaded 3401 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
LidlessEye

Post by LidlessEye »

Still, thanks acknak!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For any "mission critical" work (or, God help us, one's attempt at "The Great American Novel") we recommend regular (session by session) timed/dated backups. That way, in the event of software disaster, one loses only the last editing session. Of course, hardware disaster can also happen, so it is advisable to have the critical file(s) stored on separate machine, best in separate locations.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Tools > Options > LoadSave > General ..., allows you to tick the option Always create a backup copy. A backup copy of fred.odt is the last saved version of fred.odt, stored as fred.bak in the Backup folder specified in Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Paths ...

You can also tick Save AutoRecovery information ... every x minutes. This saves a copy of the temporary file being used to hold the document while you are editing it and minimises data loss if the PC crashes. Also, the temporary file can usually be recovered if the .odt file becomes corrupted.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For many reasons, I manually make timed/dated backups. I've only once needed one of these, after a power failure (tree down across powerlines).
helo03

Post by helo03 »

Hello all,

I've been reading this forum quite a while now and I've run across an error I can't fix by myself. I hope you will be able to...

I've been working on a presentation and the script to this presentation is now corrupted. I hope you guys will be able to recover my data

Please see attached.

Thank you all!
Attachments
crappyfile.odt
(23.94 KiB) Downloaded 3271 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The archive that is the OO file is damaged - I got nothing from it.
helo03

Post by helo03 »

RoryOF wrote:The archive that is the OO file is damaged - I got nothing from it.
Same here... I've basically tried everything in this thread.
Maybe someone else has better luck.
But thanks a lot for trying!
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Don't waste your time - start rewriting.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The file contains all zeros - there is literally nothing in it.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files which should allow you to recover some data.
Clipboard01.png

mysticsnow

Post by mysticsnow »

Hey guys,

For the past hour I've tried EVERYTHING that was mentioned in this topic but nothing worked (I couldn't even open it once I changed the extension to .zip). I don't know if it's because I'm so upset that I might loose a very important file or if it's just that I'm too dumb to successfully recover it but I've got nothing. I wouldn't ask for help if I wasn't so desperate. I wrote a 5 pages document and when I tired to open it in order to print it, some weird window appeared asking me to choose an ASCII filter or whatever and when I clicked on OK all the text in the document was replaced by a "#".
Would you please make computer magic and try to recover this file ? I would be so GRATEFUL for it !

Please, you are my only hope.

PS : the document is in french.
Attachments
compte rendu FIFAM.odt
(31.79 KiB) Downloaded 3239 times
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Nothing recoverable with my tools. You can try using PhotoRec or Recuva to search for deleted files which, if found, may be either partial or full, but I suggest rewriting.
mysticsnow

Post by mysticsnow »

Too bad ! Thank you anyway for trying ! I already tried Recuva and it didn't work either so yeah, I'm just going to rewrite the whole thing even though I have absolutely zero motivation.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

mysticsnow wrote:PS : the document is in french.
Je suis désolé mais il n'y a rien dans le dossier - il est plein de zéros.

mysticsnow

Post by mysticsnow »

Pas de soucis. J'ai déjà commencé à réécrire mon document mais merci quand même de vous être donné la peine !
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To prevent this happening again, be leisurely in powering off your computer. Always use the correct shut down procedure for your operating system and give a few extra seconds after the OK message before switching off the power. Doing this is not a 100% guarantee that your file won't be lost, but long-time computer users are usually careful in powering down and we get few or no damaged files.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

This topic is already very long, I've therefore created a tutorial for this kind of damage: [Tutorial] Format error discovered in sub-document.
If you've still problems with the repair process, please create a new topic and tell what you've tried already or where you're lost.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Gigantis2005

Post by Gigantis2005 »

I need some help. I was typing on my computer when all of a sudden my computer gets laggy. I managed to exit out of the file and shut my computer down. After I turned the computer back on, I tried to access my file, but Open Office tells me that its been locked by an unknown user and I can only do read only or edit copy. When I open the document, its text is nothing but #. It's pages and pages of #. I tried to repair Open Office, but it was still like that. I tried to open it in Microsoft Word, but it told me that the file was corrupted. I honestly have no idea what to do, and I'm not good with this kind of stuff, so I hope one of you can uncorrupt it.
1990 - 1999.odt
(62.8 KiB) Downloaded 3281 times
Open Office 4.2 and Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Unfortunately your file is comprised of nothing but null bytes - in other words totally unrecoverable. If you have made backups, try them; if you have checked Always create backup copy in the Load/Save options, look in the backup directory set in Tools | Options | OpenOffice | Paths for a backup with a .bak extension.

Otherwise, as soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva (Windows only) or PhotoRec for Win, MacOS, Linux and other OSes (only one needed) and let it do an in-depth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened it or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.

iecelebi89

Post by iecelebi89 »

URGENT :( :(

Hi all, I completed an internship about Android programming. I made 46 pages report and saved yesterday and never back again. Also I saved on my Cloud service. But today, my day to print out and get signatured by company day and before hours I said myself 'last control' before printing all pages... And there was not even any goddamn page.. Just blank... Browsed some temp files, tried to see if there is any back up but there is not... Can you bring pages back? Or some wizard-ish touches :( :( :( I added my file to attachment. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
Staj_Raporu_IsmailCelebi.odt
Internship Report
(7.16 KiB) Downloaded 3389 times
OpenOffice4 on Windows 7 Home Premium
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, your document is empty—there's no content there to recover.

Your best bet is to look for an intact temporary file; see: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23