[Hint] How did I fix my ODT file

Discuss the word processor

Re: [Hint] How did I fix my ODT file

Postby John_Ha » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:23 pm

LovingLife139 wrote:If it helps anyone else in the future, learn from my mistakes

Your biggest mistake was not taking backups to a separate disk and, preferably, to the web.

Install Google Backup and SYnc or Dropbox and invest a few pounds in a USB stick. Take daily backups of important files. As a last resort, email yourself a file - if you configure your email to keep files on the server it will act as a backup. Switch on AOO's Always create backup copy and AutoRecovery - see Tutorial.
AOO 4.1.5, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby H8tank » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:30 pm

I had a user on a Win 10 machine using Apache Open Office 4.1.2 who had a doc open, accidentally did a select all, type a few characters then freaked out tried to close it down but instinctively hit 'save' on the way out. So years of work gone in a flash.

No Auto Backup, no file in temp, but I did find a shadow copy and was able to retrieve it, however it is corrupted. I have tried every trick I know, multiple versions of open or libre, zipped files open, but the content.xml won't.

I did get 7 pages of text on one attempt, but there should be many, many more.

One error on opening: Read Eror, Format Error discovered in the Filein sub-document content.xml at 1,0(row,col).

Want to have a look? http://apctec.com/SimpleC.zip

Thanks for reading, fingers crossed.
Created Open office 3, Win10, attempted recovery xp 32bit, win764
H8tank

Postby robleyd » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:00 am

The content.xml file seems badly corrupted from fairly early in the file. I managed to recover a small amount of the raw text of the content which I have attached. Maybe someone else may recover somewhat more than I managed.
Attachments
content.zip
(4.33 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
robleyd

Postby H8tank » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Thank you for taking a look. :)

Yeah, that is the same I was able to get, about 9 pages, there were around 300 pages total.

What is weird, is I was able to get 2 copies from shadow folders, one from May, one from June, and they both only have the first 9 pages recoverable.

I guess I am running out of options? Is there anyway the xml file can be repaired even if it costs $$?
Created Open office 3, Win10, attempted recovery xp 32bit, win764
H8tank

Postby RoryOF » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:48 pm

Run PhotoRec or Recuva and see what it finds. You will need to rename any files it finds to .odt before opening them
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Previous

Return to Writer