Font "Albany"

Discuss the word processor
M.Reschke

Font "Albany"

Post by M.Reschke »

Can anybody give me some informations about the font "Albany": Is this font free, using a free licence? Can I use it professionell or are there any limitations? Where can I get more informations about this font?

Thank you very much!

Michael Reschke
acknak

Re: Font "Albany"

Post by acknak »

The TTF file I have includes this notice:
Digitized data copyright 2001 Agfa Monotype Corporation. All rights reserved. Albany is a trademark of Agfa Monotype Corporation and may be registered in certain jurisdictions.
I'm not 100% clear on the history of this font in relation to OOo. I seem to recall that it was bundled with OOo at one time, but not now. It may have been licensed by Sun and/or Star Division for distribution with OOo, but it does not appear to be a freely-distributable font.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
h1h

Post by h1h »

according to the german wikipedia it is under a free licence
OOo 2.4 (from OOo-site) on Linux
acknak

Post by acknak »

It was licensed for distribution with some open source products (Corel Linux, Red Hat Linux), but I see no evidence that the font is under any kind of "free" license, by any meaning of the word. Just because a font is bundled "for free" with some product does not mean it the font itself is freely licensed.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
h1h

Post by h1h »

Helvetica aka Arial
not that it makes a big difference, but Helvetica is not "also known as" Arial. Helvetica has been around long before the main distributer of Arial or Arial itself. I think since 1957. If at all, Arial is a clone of Helvetica.
OOo 2.4 (from OOo-site) on Linux