Cursor style in Writer

Discuss the word processor
AlanL

Cursor style in Writer

Post by AlanL »

Due to changing computers, I moved from an old version of MS Word to Open Office 4.1.11 I but even though checking all over the forums I cannot find any advice about changing the cursor style in Writer to something other than the solid block.

Yes I know that "insert" changes the style but that just creates other problems when typing
Changing the cursor in Windows is NOT what I want either because it is set up perfectly for other applications - like now when writing this message.
Ditto Google Chrome

Surely, when Open Office is so good in other respects, there must be a simple way to change the cursor style to something than does not overlap the text? OR is this a matter of me being a bear of simple brain and failing to find the appropriate controls?

Someone please provide a solution, or I'll have to revert to MS Office
Open Office version 4.1.11
Windows 10 Pro
Hagar Delest

Re: Cursor style in Writer

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Can you describe what your are expecting?
I tried with my MS Word (2016) and there is not even the insert feature (it may be hidden somewhere but the Inser key does nothing at all). With LibreOffice, it changes the cursor to a block highlighting the active character, which sounds rather logical. And only the caret at the end of a line.
When typing this message, I only see the caret, same as the standard cursor in MS Word, LO or any other application handling text.
You may look for a feature that is not available even in new versions. In such case, you may have to go back to your former MS Word version.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

I would have hoped to have something as simple as one of these

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/simple- ... 706827.jpg
OR a slightly heavier one like:
https://wdrfree.com/stock-vector/downlo ... -248134958
This one for example: ]

If I could get to the code for the "write" app, could I not change the cursor there?
Windows 10 Pro
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In this thread there is discussion on changing the cursor width; it may be applicable to current Windows but not using Windows I cannot check.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=102795&p=497402&hi ... r#p497402p

It may also be the case that such a cursor change applies to all applications, in which case you may have to settle for a global change to cursor style.

The last post in this thread may also offer solutions
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=87503

Villeroy's post here may also help
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=99341&p=477745&hil ... or#p477745

And this has also been reported to help
https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/se ... ws-10.html
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I don't understand. For the caret, I have a straight vertical character: |
But my cursor is the same in MS Word or LO Writer, or this web page, it's the first link you provided.
So how does your cursor look like (the one you want to change)???
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

What I see, using Win 7 and AOO 4.1.4
Insert mode; cursor is vertical bar
Insert mode; cursor is vertical bar
oo_cursor01.png (10.95 KiB) Viewed 5909 times
Overtype mode; cursor is a block
Overtype mode; cursor is a block
oo_cursor02.png (11.17 KiB) Viewed 5909 times
I see the same in Linux with AOO 4.2. The block cursor is the indicator that I have selected Overtype mode.

In insert mode, any text after the cursor position moves forward to make room for the text you type; in overwrite mode, text after the cursor position is replaced by the text you type. The current mode is displayed on the Status Bar.

With the mouse, click in the area on the Status Bar that indicates the current mode in order to switch to the other mode.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As I understand it, the | insertion cursor is not sufficiently visible for the OP, and he would like something more obvious.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

I think the OP is asking that when in overtype mode instead of a block cursor (the whole of the next character flashing) there is an I-beam cursor - the same as in insert mode. In Word its an I-beam cursor for both modes.

The programme doesn't seem to be customizable that way I'm afraid.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

RoryOF wrote:In this thread there is discussion on changing the cursor width; it may be applicable to current Windows but not using Windows I cannot check.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=102795&p=497402&hi ... r#p497402p

It may also be the case that such a cursor change applies to all applications, in which case you may have to settle for a global change to cursor style.
Precisely! That what I do NOT want to do. The cursors in all other apps are fine - it is only in Open Office text documents there is the heavy block cursor that obscures the next letter, also spaces between words.

I have just reloaded an old copy of MS Word and that will just have to do. As a writer, I'm not prepared to have to accommodate hassles with the software
Windows 10 Pro
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Just want to thank you all for advice and comments.

However. as inferred in the post above, I have more important things to do than fight with the program.
I'll probably continue to use the OO spreadsheet but not the text app.
Windows 10 Pro
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

There's a big choice in office software some of which might do this how you want:

https://www.guru99.com/free-office-software.html

AbiWord not mentioned there is another Word Processor which happens to have an I-Beam for the overtype mode.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

JeJe wrote:I think the OP is asking that when in overtype mode instead of a block cursor (the whole of the next character flashing) there is an I-beam cursor - the same as in insert mode. In Word its an I-beam cursor for both modes.
We can't be sure regarding the OP's concern since he (f/m) still didn't tell. It even looks like he temporarily isn't aware of the important difference between the overtype mode and the insertion mode.
The main advice therefore should be: Study and try it. Use the Ins key to toggle between the modes. (Hopefully the default setting for the key wasn't changed.)

I can't confirm what's told above concerning the behaviour of MS Word, because I can't test with any version.
However I trust in @JeJe 's statement, and would emphasize: If so, that's very bad and dangerous.
(But it would reinforce my perception obtained from MS Win experinces, that MS the more tends to hide information the more important it is.)
AlanL wrote:However. as inferred in the post above, I have more important things to do than fight with the program.
We all have more important things to do than to fight. Whatever!
Some of us may even think they have more important things to do than to worry again and again about the little annoyances new users may get in cases where Writer is better than a certain competitor, but a bit unfamiliar to them.

This kind of "fight with the program", however, is actually a process of learning - and that's the only way to win.

As a writer you surely are generally eager to learn.
Concerning Writer, (LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice versions) there actually are a few things to learn that are of much more relevance than the way a cursor is displayed.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Lupp wrote:However I trust in @JeJe 's statement
JeJe is right indeed.
Lupp wrote:If so, that's very bad and dangerous.
Agreed!
I tested on my MS Word (2016 version) and by default, the overtype mode is disabled. You have to go to the advanced options to activate it (had to look it up on the net). And indeed, there is no change in the cursor, which can easily lead to data loss when you don't notice that you were overwriting something that shouldn't.
Lupp wrote:The main advice therefore should be: Study and try it. Use the Ins key to toggle between the modes.
I think that this is more a question of habits/visual comfort/other reason here.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Overtype mode is just deleting the next letter when you type... and OO is good with how it lets people write macros. So overtype mode could be emulated with a macro while still in insert mode with its I-beam cursor.

But there are probably loads of other word processors which just keep the I-beam cursor for the OP to use which would be likely better than that sort of hack.