[Solved] Capitalize first letter of every sentence

Discuss the word processor
Dreamwriter

[Solved] Capitalize first letter of every sentence

Post by Dreamwriter »

Hi, I have been using OO for a long time - just for writing. A long time now, I have regularly been trying to activate "Begin each line with capital letter", but it fails to work, despite I have checked that particular box.
I'm using the Swedish version, and I have installed spell check for Swedish and English.

This function is the only feature I need ( besides spell checking), and its a bit ironic that among all the thousands of features of OO - the only one that I need does not work. :D

I hope someone can help me. I don't want to pay a lot of money for Microsoft's word, just for changing the first letter.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 11
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Auto correction

Post by Zizi64 »

"Begin each line with capital letter"
Do you mean the "Capitalize first letter of each sentence"? It is not line-related, but it is a sentence-related option.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Re: Auto correction

Post by Hagar Delest »

Meaning that you need to have a period (dot) at the end of a paragraph so that the first letter of the new paragraph (also new line and sentence) gets capitalized.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Dreamwriter

Re: Capitalize first letter of every sentence

Post by Dreamwriter »

Sorry, I meant "Begin each sentence with capital letter". That is, I want OO to automatically change the beginning of the sentence to capital letter. If I happen to forget it, which I do regularly. More often when I'm eager to write fast. :)

Thanks
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Tools menu/autocorrect options/options tab/Capitalize first letter of every sentence
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The delimiters to end a sentence (in English) are .!? and auto capitalise works after these. If there are (rare) omissions, proof reading should catch these.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Dreamwriter

Post by Dreamwriter »

I have tried that:
Tools menu/autocorrect options/options tab/Capitalize first letter of every sentence

Doesn't work. I'm probably forced tp live with it, or buy MS Office. :oops: :cry:
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I'm probably forced tp live with it, or buy MS Office.
Try the LibreOffice before.

Where you set this option? Do you checked the checbox in the column T (while Typing), and the M (while Modifying) too?
It will not work "automatically" (will not modify all of the sentences immediately, when you check-in the options), but it need some activity: Typeing or Modifying.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Dreamwriter wrote:I have tried that:

Doesn't work. I'm probably forced tp live with it, or buy MS Office. :oops: :cry:
Before posting, I checked on my system; definitely working for me. On /Format /Autocorrect, you probably should have "while typing" checked.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Dreamwriter wrote:Doesn't work. I'm probably forced tp live with it, or buy MS Office. :oops: :cry:
Then there is a problem.
Try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.
I assume that you use the sentence delimiters mentioned by RoryOF (.!?).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have just checked: /Format /Autocorrect /While typing needs to be turned on, in addition to using the normal sentence delimiters and the other settings mentioned earlier
Dreamwriter

Post by Dreamwriter »

Ahh, I'm grateful there are forums! Problem solved, and I can stick with OO. Thanks.