[Solved] How do I set the direction of input text?

Discuss the word processor
NatalieEGH

[Solved] How do I set the direction of input text?

Post by NatalieEGH »

I am studying Biblical Hebrew.

The text goes right to left (It goes "?gniod uoy era tahW" unlike most (all?) European languages (English, French, German, ...) that go left to right (so "What are you doing?")

This results in punctuation like the "?" being put at the beginning of a question. It is like "gniod uoy era tahW" instead of ""?gniod uoy era tahW"

I think the problem will be fixed if I can change the direction of the input. Is there a way to do this?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 (AOO412m3(Build:9782) - Rev. 1709696) (2015-10-21 09:53:29 (Mi, 21 Okt 2015)
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with all patches applicable through today 2016-01-11
Bill
Volunteer

Re: How do I set the direction of input text?

Post by Bill »

I found some instructions in Help by searching for Hebrew. Did you look there?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
NatalieEGH

Post by NatalieEGH »

I had not searched using Hebrew. I had been using "line direction", "direction", and "input direction" and found nothing.

Thank you for that much help.

The instructions SOMETIMES work. It does not work from what I can tell with a cut and paste. Also even if I do a Control A, selecting all the text and then do the Control Shift D it is very hit and miss as to whether when I type a ? at the end if it goes at the proper location or jumps to the start of the line.
I have also noticed the period and the double RIGHT quote (I think maybe a Hebrew punctuation, not standard on USA keyboard anyway) does the same thing.
I do not know if I am doing something wrong but the instructions seem very straight forward and I am sure I am following them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 (AOO412m3(Build:9782) - Rev. 1709696) (2015-10-21 09:53:29 (Mi, 21 Okt 2015)
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with all patches applicable through today 2016-01-11
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
NatalieEGH wrote:[Hebrew] text goes right to left (It goes "?gniod uoy era tahW" unlike most (all?) European languages (English, French, German, ...) that go left to right (so "What are you doing?")
I believe that you will want to install a dictionary for Hebrew and ensure that your Hebrew text is marked as such in Tools → Language → For …. I have no personal experience with installing a dictionary.
[Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration
NatalieEGH wrote:I had not searched [Writer Help] using "Hebrew".
I will remind you that there are nearly 500 topics in the Writer forum for the search term "Hebrew". Perhaps one of those will help. I have no personal experience working with a right-to-left language in any context. You can find even more topics with search term "right-to-left".
Search.gif
I thankfully do not use Windoze and do not know if it is important to also enable Hebrew support in your operating system, but I'm sure a web search, or perhaps one of the topics from the searches above, will have information about that.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Start here fir a quick entry:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=84078

One of the keywords to remember is complex-text-layout

You can set the language for paragraphs, using styles wich should also change direction of writing.

J.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
NatalieEGH

Post by NatalieEGH »

Thank you for the suggestions.