Columns in Some Pages But Not Others

Discuss the word processor
Padeen

Columns in Some Pages But Not Others

Post by Padeen »

I'm creating a document with 2 columns on the first 2 pages, and want the 3rd and 4th page to be just one column, but can't seem to change one page without changing all pages. I've played with page breaks, but can't seem to get them to help.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic from Impress forum to Writer, since Impress doesn't have "columns"
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Columns in Some Pages But Not Others

Post by Hagar Delest »

You've posted in the Impress section of the forum, are you really talking about a presentation?
If you're talking about Writer, then use different page styles, on configured with a 2-column layout and insert a page break with a page style change at the end of the second page that switches to a 1-column page style.
You can also insert a section (with a 2-column layout) from first to second page and insert a page break, that will keep the same page style for all 4 pages.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you re working in Writer, my tutorial on Columns at
[Tutorial] Columns in Writer: an introduction
may help.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Padeen

Post by Padeen »

Thanks, guys; your comments led me to realize I was in Writer, not Impress.
Rory, I read your tutorial multiple times, but was unable to translate it to my needs. Your first paragraph seemed most applicable, but I was stumped because it tells me what to do, but not how to do it. My 2nd page doesn't respond to anything I've tried, including creating a style with one column, setting a page break at the top (the page is essentially still empty) and trying to apply the 1-column style to the page. Nothing happens.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

After setting the pages to 1 column and inserting the page break, select the text on the first 2 pages, then select Format > Columns > 2. This will insert a 2-column section containing the text. You don't need to change the pages to 2-column pages.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04