[Solved] Identical page Styles that react differently

Discuss the word processor
Lunarian3

[Solved] Identical page Styles that react differently

Post by Lunarian3 »

Let me explain what I am trying to do. I am formatting a book using writer, and a part of my set up is creating Chapters with headers that are specific to that Chapter. having the page number, and book title (right page) and chapter title (left page) ADDED that the Chapter starts on the right page.

initially I tried creating one page style to apply to each chapter using page breaks to separate the chapters. but when I apply a page style to chapter 1 and 2 the headers do not separate so the Chapter title can only be chapter 1's title or chapter 2's title. if anybody knows how to fix that, I want to know.

My work around is creating a specific page style for each chapter, naming them Chapter 1, 2, 3, etc. Its going to be annoying with 30 chapters, so if I don't have to do that. It would be great.

So far I have been able to get it all to work EXCEPT starting the chapter on the Right side. NOW here is the tricky thing that I can not figure out. my title page, my prologue, and chapter 1 all have a blank page allowing the chapter to start on the right side, but chapters 2 - 7 do not have the blank page, and so do not start on the right side, which is baffling, because the settings for all the page styles are identical, I have looked at paragraph styles, page styles, and I cant figure out why chapter 1 works, but 2 - 7 don't.

Added information, I am working on a Mac catalina os, and the document was doc file I converted to a odt file. I have ironed out most of the bugs from converting, but that may be why its being funky. is there a away to fix the file or do I have to start from scratch, I know copy and pasting my 84 pages is only going to copy, and paste the bugs.

Thank you for your time. :super:
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
openOffice 4.1.10 on Mac Air Catalina 10.15.7
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Identical page Styles that react differently

Post by Bill »

You have to insert fields in the headers so Writer can change the text in the headers for each chapter.

You need two page styles. One for the first page of each chapter and a second for the other pages of each chapter. Set the page layout for the first style to "Right Only". That starts each chapter on a right page. Set the page layout for the other style to "Right and Left". In the Header settings for the second style, uncheck "Same content left/right". In the header for a left page, select Insert > Fields > Other > Document. Select "Chapter" as the Type and "Chapter name" as the Format. That gets the chapter name in the left page header if you have applied the Heading 1 paragraph style to the chapter names. In the header for a right page, select Insert > Fields > Title. That gets the document title in the right page header if you have put the title in File > Properties > Description > Title.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Lunarian3

Post by Lunarian3 »

Bill wrote:You have to insert fields in the headers so Writer can change the text in the headers for each chapter.

That is making it easier thank you! didn't think I could use fields for headers so easily. Now the second page style is working fine, but I'm missing something. I apply the chapter style to page and it affects the entire chapter body, right now I have applied the Chapter body style, and its applied to both chapter, and body
Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 20.41.47.png
in the image you can see that the chapter 1 "facade" has the Chapter body style, but the color is not the color I placed on the chapter body style. Do I need a break between Chapter page, and body?
Lunarian3

Post by Lunarian3 »

OK! I figure it out. I was not understanding how the page styles work. Still don't, BUT I'll try and explain for future lost souls. Ok, So I made a page style based off the default called Chapter, and default was a master page style for other pages, and that was messing me up. So I made a new Page style named Chapter deleting the first style. My problem was treating the two pages styles disconnected. in the page style > organizer I put name as chapter,THEN in the next style I put ChapterBody my second style. now the trick that was messing me up is I needed to delete my page break before the chapter to create a new manual break. In the insert break settings I choose Chapter setting, and That will allow my chapters to be set to the right, and my second page style follows after. If there is anything I am missing fill in the blanks.

and lastly this is the only way to do it. like seriously it saves so much time.

Thanks