[Solved] Writer tables - borders and position

Discuss the word processor
DOSman

[Solved] Writer tables - borders and position

Post by DOSman »

Advice is sought about tables. I am unable to find a solution.

I have a table which I wish to separate into sections. That is, one cell (a full width row) will have no borders on the left and right. In the cell I right clicked, selected Table, Border tab, user defined left and right, none (ie, no border), and okay. This lost the borders for the entire table. Then I tried to split the table, but the part that was below is now on a new page.

Can someone please advise how to remove the left and right cell borders, and how to stop a split table from starting on a new page? TIA.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Windows 10 Pro Apache OO 4.1.7 Libre Office 7.4.3.2
FJCC

Re: Writer tables - borders and position

Post by FJCC »

To affect the borders of a subset of the rows in a table, you have to select the rows, not just place the cursor in the row. Selecting a single row is fiddly. Click and hold on the row, then drag down so that two rows are selected (highlighted). While still holding the mouse button down, slide back to the original row so that only it is highlighted. You can then right click on the highlighted row and change its borders.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Don't remember in AOO but in LibreOffice, there is even a toolbar button to select a single cell (and one to select the whole table).
It avoids the trick with selecting back.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Hagar Delest wrote:Don't remember in AOO ...
Place the cursor in a cell, or highlight some cells > Table > Select > Cell ..., selects the cell or cells for border etc changes.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Selecting rows is easy with the mouse. Move the mouse pointer outside the left end of the row until the pointer changes to an arrow pointing to the row. Click to select the row. To select multiple rows, click and hold outside a row to select it, then move the pointer up or down to add more rows to the selection.

To "split" the table, start without any borders. Select the rows for the first part and add borders to the first part, then select the rows for the second part and add borders to the second part.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
DOSman

Post by DOSman »

Thank you for your advice. The only one I can follow to remove the borders is from FJCC, and this worked. I cannot find a toolbar button. I can follow Table > Select > Cell ..., selects the cell or cells, but then what? Bill, my cursor is a Big serif I, and does not change by position. Your advice is for text with no table. The situation is that I have a table and wish to have a full width row-cell with no borders left and right. Having spent some time setting up a table I'm not going to remove the existing borders. FJCC has the solution.

A table easily fits on one page. Does anyone know how to split this table and have the second table on the same page?
Windows 10 Pro Apache OO 4.1.7 Libre Office 7.4.3.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DOSman wrote:Bill, my cursor is a Big serif I, and does not change by position. Your advice is for text with no table.
No, my advice is specifically for tables, not text. It's even in Help. If your cursor doesn't change to an arrow, then your installation isn't working correctly.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

DOSman wrote:I can follow Table > Select > Cell ..., selects the cell or cells, but then what?
After Table > Select > Cell ..., selects the cell or cells, go Table > Properties > Borders ..., etc and make the changes you want.

See Chapter 9 - Working with Tables in the Writer User Guide. May I suggest you bookmark the page.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.