[Solved] Writer corrupts RTF files

Discuss the word processor
neky

[Solved] Writer corrupts RTF files

Post by neky »

Hello! I ran into the following OO Writer behavior. I have an RTF file and OO 4.1.10 after clean install (Windows 10). I opened the file and started editing it. Since it was after a clean install, during the editing process, I felt the need to change some settings of the application, which I began to do (with an open file). When I tried to open the file again, Writer wrote me an input/output error. The file perished. I saw a topic where a similar situation was described, but in my case, Writer began to damage any RTF file after that. Before changing settings everything was ok. I understand that this is a bug and the real solution is unlikely to prompt me here. I have the following question. Can anyone suggest which setting change could lead to this behavior.
Last edited by neky on Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.10
Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Writer corrupts RTF files

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Basically, RTF support is rather poor with AOO. You can try LibreOffice, it might do a better job (but not sure at all).
Now, if it corrupts all the file systematically, there may be something else.
You can try first to reset your OpenOffice user profile. Then try again but make copies of the files you open first, just in case.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Wordpad is the Windows application that handles rtf properly.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

neky wrote:I felt the need to change some settings of the application, which I began to do (with an open file). When I tried to open the file again, Writer wrote me an input/output error. The file perished.
I think it extremely unlikely that changing any AOO settings affected a .rtf file, not least because the file is held in memory while being edited and any corruption in the file must occur at the time the file was written.

What is the exact wording of the error message?

It is far more likely something else caused the problem. The most likely cause is shutting the laptop lid while the file is being written as AOO has a bug where AOO does not prevent the shutdown causing a file to be truncated. Similarly a PC crash or power down occurring after the file has been written to the buffer but before the buffer has been flushed to disk will corrupt the file.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Microsoft and AOO/LO files for comments on rtf files - never use them to save your work.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for more information on the bug. The bug report says AOO issues a General Error. General input/output error error message for a truncated .odt file.

If you upload the file showing the problem it can be analysed. Press POSTREPLY and click the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site such as mediafire, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
neky

Post by neky »

I found out that I was wrong in claiming that Writer corrupts any file. It turned out that it only corrupts files with tables, and only if you edit something in them. That is, if a file with a table is opened and something is edited in the contents of the table, after saving the file is damaged. I experimented with files created from scratch. Opened a file, created a table, closed the file. After that, the file was ok. Then I entered something into the table. After saving, such a file was always damaged.
OpenOffice 4.1.10
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

What you describe works fine for me - see file.

Strange problems are often fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.
Attachments
test.rtf
(8.57 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
neky

Post by neky »

John_Ha wrote:Strange problems are often fixed by resetting the user profile...Resetting the user profile.
Thanx! I cleared the profile, re-tuned. Now it's ok. As a result, I recommend, just in case, not to tune OpenOffice with an open file.
OpenOffice 4.1.10
Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

neky wrote:Thanx! I cleared the profile, re-tuned. Now it's ok.
Note that it was the very first advice provided in this topic...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10