[Solved] Apply Style is intermittently working...

Discuss the word processor
mechanized82

[Solved] Apply Style is intermittently working...

Post by mechanized82 »

What would cause an applied style to only work sometimes?

I have a document that was never formatted correctly from the start. I'm learning as I go so perhaps some of my text has some certain option selected while other text doesn't.

Details: I can be on the same page, same document, select some text, apply custom style and it works. Then I'll choose a different bit of text, apply same custom style, doesn't work... sometimes the changes are weird, like it will add the chosen font in the style, but not size or color. Sometimes Its wont change at all.

It depends on the text selected... I could choose some text and it does 1 thing, another bit of text and it works properly, and a 3rd bit and it will do nothing... Saving and reloading has no effect.

I'm able to fix this by copying a section of the document that is behaving correctly and just pasting then retyping the words. But I'm just wondering if there is a simple solution and what caused it in the first place so I can avoid in the future.
Last edited by mechanized82 on Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open office 4.0 on windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: Apply Style is intermittently working...

Post by Hagar Delest »

The first reason that comes to my mind is direct formatting (formatting applied with the toolbar buttons).
Select the text, hit Ctrl+M and see what happens.

Note that AOO has a less consistent way of working IMHO, compared to LibreOffice: AOO removes character styles, whereas LibreOffice (correctly) keeps those character styles.
I can't explain why AOO would consider a character style a direct formatting to be removed.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mechanized82

Re: [Solved] Apply Style is intermittently working...

Post by mechanized82 »

That was it. Thank you. What does ctrl+m do?

It was weird too cuz if I highlight the text not changing properly, the highlight bluish color would be the proper size but not the actual text lol.
Open office 4.0 on windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Apply Style is intermittently working...

Post by Villeroy »

menu:Format>Default [Ctrl+M] removes all hard formatting. What remains is the formatting of the underlying style.
This does not apply to page styles because all page attributes are set by a style. When you change a page format, you always change the style.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice