[Solved] Repeat column to new page

Discuss the word processor
Grontan

[Solved] Repeat column to new page

Post by Grontan »

hi
im trying to make at double cornell template

ive done so by making two columns and adding a horizontal ruler.

Im trying to make it so that when i page break it copies the template to the next page, but it doesnt.
instead it just makes a new fresh page.

anyone know of a solution? :)
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Open office 4.1.3, win10
RoryOF

Re: repeat column to new page

Post by RoryOF »

Define your two column page as a Page Style, and on that Page Style's Organiser tab, set that same Page Style as the Next Style.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Grontan

Post by Grontan »

RoryOF wrote:Define your two column page as a Page Style, and on that Page Style's Organiser tab, set that same Page Style as the Next Style.
it is saved as a style and the next style is that. it still doesnt copy it
Open office 4.1.3, win10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As a Page Style?
Grontan

Post by Grontan »

RoryOF wrote:As a Page Style?
yes?
just to clarify, i did not make the columns in the page style (F11) and then modify, if i do the column will take up the entire page and i wont be able to have an open writable area at the bottom. (if i make the column in modify then it will copy the style to next page)
So it is put in from format>column and section.
That way the column extends as i write and i get an writable area below the column
Open office 4.1.3, win10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Columns within a Section will continue as long as that Section is in use, causing the text to spill to the next column only at the page end, so each page is self contained. You should read my
[Tutorial] Columns in Writer: an introduction
 Edit: To continue with columns on next page, you should introduce a new Section there. Alternately, place a two column one row table on your template, and use the table, manually steering your text to the next column when desired by simply clicking in the right-hand cell to start your text there. 
Grontan

Post by Grontan »

RoryOF wrote:Columns within a Section will continue as long as that Section is in use, causing the text to spill to the next column only at the page end, so each page is self contained. You should read my
[Tutorial] Columns in Writer: an introduction
 Edit: To continue with columns on next page, you should introduce a new Section there. Alternately, place a two column one row table on your template, and use the table, manually steering your text to the next column when desired by simply clicking in the right-hand cell to start your text there. 
thanks for the tutorial
(d) parallel columns is what i want, so i think ill just go for tables.
Its not quite what i want since ill have to make a new rows
and i have to make a new table for each page,
but i easily get the writable area at the bottom of the page and if i on one page want to extend the table to the bottom of the page and not get the writable are i can do that to.

Not quite what i want, but i think it will be close enough

thanks for the help :D

and as a plus my points in each table column will line up, i dont have to manually line them up wich i would have to do in a "noraml" column
Open office 4.1.3, win10
Hagar Delest

Re: Repeat column to new page

Post by Hagar Delest »

What I would propose is an AutoText:
Create a brand new document, insert an empty paragraph (just hit Enter).
Insert the section as you want it to be designed.
In the first paragraph of that section, insert a page break (place the cursor in the first paragraph of the section, then right click, Paragraph and in the Text Flow tab, check the Insert page break).
Select all (Ctrl+A).
Make it an AutoText (in LibreOffice, Tools > AutoText; give a name, change the proposed shortcut if needed and click the button (bottom of the window) AutoText > New).

Then, in your document, type the shortcut and hit F3.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10