Everything I scan is saved in computer language

Discuss the word processor
spinky88

Everything I scan is saved in computer language

Post by spinky88 »

Hi, I am new here and joined hoping to find some help with an issue I am having. My laptop came with OpenOffice Writer which I had never used before ( I am familiar with Word) but over the past 2/3 years since I bought this computer, I have learned to adjust to using it. I have had no issues until the past month to 6 weeks.

Every time I attempt to import a file and save it, it is converting it to "computer language" instead of saving the document as it always has. I am getting the ASCII question box every time I try to save something. I do not know why, after all of these months, this has changed, but it is making Office Writer useless for me. I have been through everything on my settings, have searched the internet, and tried everything I know and nothing works. I can go through all of the steps but when I get to the end, I am always instructed to do something that does not show up in my choices.

Everything I scan into Office Writer is saved in computer language and I am in desperate need of changing my name on some documents, due to me remarrying, and I can do nothing. I use my laptop all the time but as far as troubleshooting issues like this, I do not have in-depth skills.

I have used Google and tried numerous avenues to correct this problem and nothing has worked. I found this forum through a Google search and am hoping maybe some of you can help me walk through how to make this program useful for me again. I am in the USA and Word is the program that everyone uses.

I am now retired from the workforce and not using my computer for my employment now, so I did not want to invest in purchasing Word; however, now I can basically do nothing but type up my own documents. Can any of you help me with this, if so, I would be so very grateful.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited to break up "wall of text" [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice Writer4.5.1 on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Re: I need some help please

Post by floris v »

First, welcome to the forum. It's the place to be for your questions about OpenOffice.
I don't quite understand your issues, but will try to offer some suggestions.
First, it never happens to me that Writer shows an ASCII selection box when I try to save a document. It may pop up when I try to open a file though. That can happen when I open a text document that was saved as plain ASCII. It may also happen when opening a file saved in an ancient version of, for instance, MS Word.
Everything I scan into Office Writer is saved in computer language
What do you mean with scanning something into Writer? Do you mean open a scanned document?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
spinky88

Post by spinky88 »

Yes. Suddenly after using this program for years, everything I scan and save, is saved in what I call computer language, like code. There is no option to save it as .odt.
OpenOffice Writer4.5.1 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Turn on viewing of file types (the three/four letter extension after a filename). The files being openend as computer language and those scanned and showing up as computer language are probably of type pdf. PDF files should not e opened in Writer; you need to right click on one and select from the popup another application to open such files. Such application used be Adobe Reader, but as I am not familiar with current Windows, I cannot say what application Windows is currently using to in normal circumstances to open PDF files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

The first thing to do when OpenOffice starts acting strange is to reset your user profile. Click here for help how to do that. Can you post a screenshot of the Save file dialog window without the option to save as odt?
I have probably never directly scanned documents into Writer - I have scanned to Word, but that's many years ago.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

There is no option to save it as .odt.
If so, you are most likely not working in OpenOffice Writer. I would guess that some overlay window/dialog or "scan service application" is opened. Perhaps hidden behind the Writer window, or a "seamless dialog" looking like a part of Writer.

Do you initiate the scan by ...
  • Writer tools (Insert - Image/Media - ...)?
  • a scanner icon on your computer screen (apps-menu/desktop/taskbar)?
  • the Scan button or panel icon on your scanner device?
  • some other procedure?
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

What is the file format of the document you are 'importing'? And how are you 'importing' it?

What steps do you then go through to save the document? eg click on File menu/click on save as etc
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)