[Solved] Footnotes to Endnotes

Discuss the word processor
Brigb

[Solved] Footnotes to Endnotes

Post by Brigb »

I set up my document for footnotes but need to convert them to endnotes for ebook publication. The footnotes run from 1 to 115 but when I select the endnotes option they're all single figure numbers. I've set endnote format to numbers (rather than the default Roman numerals), what else must I do to have them appearing as they are in the document please?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Footnotes to Endnotes

Post by John_Ha »

It will be easiest to advise you if you could upload a small file showing the problem so that it can be analysed.

Press POSTREPLY and click the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

Are you saving as a .odt file? Saving as a .doc causes all sorts of problems.

Alternatively, I have sent you an email with my email ID so you can send the entire file to me.

You may be interested in Endnotes get roman numbers in MS Office and Re: Footnotes and Endnotes
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Brigb

Post by Brigb »

Brilliant, John. Thank you. Have done.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you were trying to upload a sample file, it isn't attached to your post. How to attach a document
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Brigb sent me the file. I replied (edited to correct)
Your document has somehow become slightly corrupted. I did the "universal fix" of creating a new, empty document, and Insert > File ..., and pulling in your document. It fixed the footnotes and they are now numbered consecutively.

Basically your document has a section for each chapter and you have 18 or 20 sections which are easily seen by opening the Navigator (F5). The problem was that your endnote numbers are re-starting at 1 at each new section.

I don't know why your file does this. I created a test document with a few chapters with Heading 1 headings and I did not get the problem. When I converted my footnotes to endnotes (Tools > Footnotes and endnotes > Position > End of document) they were properly numbered.
On reflection, and following a suggestion from RoryOF, this may be a hangover from the document being saved as a .doc file, or created from a .doc file template, or having text from a .doc file pasted in.Whatever, the "universal fix for removing tangles" fixed it.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Brigb

Post by Brigb »

Very many thanks for all your superb work on this, John. I really appreciate it.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Footnotes to Endnotes

Post by John_Ha »

Further investigation reveals that a user can select how the footnotes should be numbered. AOO Tools > Footnotes/Endnotes > Footnotes > Counting ..., allows you to select that footnotes are counted Per page, Per chapter or Per document.

Brigb's file was set to Per chapter and I merely needed to set it to Per document.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

My struck out suspicions above seem to have been correct as RoryOF has found that the original file has
  • WW8Num10zn etc character styles
  • WW8Numn etc list styles
  • a Convert1 page style
A new .odt file created by File > New > Text document ..., does not have these styles.

While none of these are being used, their presence strongly suggests either that the file was a .doc file or a .dot template at some stage, or some text from a .doc file has been copied in. When AOO does not recognise a .doc page style it creates a page style called Convert 1. This is the likley cause of the problem.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Microsoft and AOO/LO files for a description of differences and some problems likely to arise.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (11.16 KiB) Viewed 5220 times

Brigb

Post by Brigb »

Thanks John. Yes, the original file was a doc file and I saved it at odt when you suggested that would be best to work in. I'll make sure I stick to that format in future. It would be good if OO could tidy up the styles interface. There are so many entry points, which confuses me, I would like much more clarity in the drop down boxes about what the style settings actually refer to. At present it looks to me like something that was put together by a committee and is not at all user-friendly. However, I'm generally pleased to have access to the system and particularly for the support I'm getting from you folks here on the forum. Thanks again.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A description of all the standard Styles is at
[Tutorial] List of styles - the work of floris V.

If one uses the Stylist (/Format/ Styles and Formatting, or F11 key) one can male a selection of what to display using the dropdown box in that window's bottom Bar.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Brigb

Post by Brigb »

Thanks Rory. I'll look at that.