OO keeps shutting down on its own

Discuss the word processor
freedda

OO keeps shutting down on its own

Post by freedda »

I am working on a Word file in Open Office Writer. The entire program keeps shutting down, and I have to then go through a 'recovery' to get back to it. I have tried saving it in the native .ODT file format, and this still happens. I uninstalled the program and re-installed the latest version 4.1.10, and the same thing still keeps happening.

PS - I just tried cutting and pasting the formatted content into a new document, and the same thing happens, I work on it for a few moments and then the program shuts down ????

Any suggestions on what I should do?

If the 'original' Word file was corrupted, is it possible this corruption got brought over to the .ODT file as well?

Maybe I should try cutting and pasting the contents in to a new document? I just can't figure out what's going on or how to fix it.

Regards, David
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: OO keeps shutting down on its own

Post by thomasjk »

Try resetting the use profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
freedda

Post by freedda »

I may try this. What I did was copy and paste (without formatting) into a new OO documents, but this time, instead of using tables, I formatted with columns (2), and the documents in now stable and I can work with it, though it's a bit more work to format the pages with the columns.

d.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Very large tables spanning many pages have been known to cause problems. Is there a reason you need so much tabular output?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
freedda

Post by freedda »

RoryOF wrote:Very large tables spanning many pages have been known to cause problems. Is there a reason you need so much tabular output?
I was not using one large table, but I had one (2x2) table on each page, as a way of organizing the content; and I'd only gotten to 4-5 pages when this shutdown started. (Eventually, I wanted to have 32 pages, each with one table, but I didn't get that far.)

Best, D
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I would not expect such few, discrete, tables to cause problems.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:I would not expect such few, discrete, tables to cause problems.
I completely agree.

If the problem occurs with all documents reset the user profile as advised above - see Resetting the user profile.

If that doesn't fix it do a test by booting in Safe Mode. If that fixes it, the problem is caused by a program which is started when the PC boots.

If it's just one document then that document is the cause. Create a new, empty document and go File > Insert > File ..., and pull in the problem file. This often fixes problem files. Or upload the file so it can be analysed.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
freedda

Post by freedda »

John, I may do this, or ... I may just work with the document I have with its columns.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

What will you do outside of the columns/tables? Do you want full width text?

If so, /Insert /Section and set it to have columns. Outside of the section the page will format to full width - see my tutorial
[Tutorial] Columns in Writer: an introduction
for fuller details.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I have documents with 1,000+ tables (at least 2 rows) and no problem at all.
Can you upload a sample file so that we have a look? It's rather weird (see: How to attach a document here, it has to be smaller than 128Kb).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10