[Solved] Unwanted white bar on top of all images

Discuss the word processor
Philkas

[Solved] Unwanted white bar on top of all images

Post by Philkas »

[img]https://imgur.com/a/uVZQqgd[/img]
WhiteBar.gif
This is a screenshot of one of my current documents. Every picture in it has this weird white bar on top of it. Even if i add a new one open office always adds the white bar but i can't figure out how to get rid of it.
The problem only happens in this document and i don't have the time to recreate everything from scratch. Does somebody have an idea how to get rid of it?
 Edit: Image added for OP who has not read how to attach a document
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
open office 4.1.9. on windows 10
FJCC

Re: Unwanted white bar on top of all images

Post by FJCC »

Try posting the image or, better, the actual document, again.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Philkas

Post by Philkas »

how exactly do i upload an image here? i tried it with an imgur url doesn't that work?
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Click PostReply and look for the Upload Attachment tab that is just below the box where you type a response. From that tab, you can browse to the file location and select the file. Uploading the actual file is very helpful. There is a 128KB file size limit. You can post large files on a publicly accessible storage like google drive or drop box. Pasting a url to an image should also work.
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Philkas

Post by Philkas »

Here is a link to the document in question. I removed the text and just left a random picture for demonstration purposes
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HUyZnd ... sp=sharing

Thank you for your quick responses
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

How do your images look if you examine the originals outside of OpenOffice?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I downloaded that file and found the image to be just a blur. I right clicked on it and selected Picture. On the Crop tab, the Scale Width was set to 522% and the Scale Height was set to 354%. There was also cropping in all four directions. When I set the scale to 100% and the cropping to 0, I can see the entire image and it includes that white band. Strangely, if I then adjust the cropping, the thumbnail image in the cropping dialog does not show the white band. I do not know what to make of that. What happens if you import an image into a fresh Draw document?
Philkas

Post by Philkas »

They are just normal pictures before i pull them into open office.If i copy them out of the document and paste them somewhere the white bar vanishes.
Even if i paste new images into the document they get the white bar.
Philkas

Post by Philkas »

in a new document everything works fine.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

OK, I have no idea what is going on. My suggestion, which relies on magic and wishful thinking, is to paste the images into a fresh document and then copy them from there into your document. If that does not work, let's hope someone else comes along with a better suggestion.
Philkas

Post by Philkas »

unfortunatly that doesn't work i already tried but thank you for investing your time to help me
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A white bar can be introduced by cropping an image but, instead of making it smaller by cropping it, stretch the crop_grab handles and make it larger. The added area is white.

That being said there is something horrible about the image as it is a highly magnified tiny portion of the real image and I found it tricky to force it back to its original size with the entire image displayed. I "un-cropped" it till it was much bigger and included most of the image. I could then remove the white bar.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer. In particular,
It is far better to process your images in an image editor so that they are exactly how you want them to appear before inserting them into AOO.
Also, don't paste a photo-like image in - it gets saved as a huge PNG file. Instead insert a JPG. Or don't save a photo-like image as a PNG - save it as a JPG.
If you Copy a photo to the Windows Clipboard and Paste it into Writer, Writer does not know that the image on the clipboard is a photo. Writer therefore (correctly) saves the image as a PNG file inside the .odt document so as to guarantee that no quality is lost. Photos saved as PNG files are likely to be MUCH larger - 3x or 4x larger is typical - than the same photo saved as a JPG file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Philkas

Post by Philkas »

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunatly cropping does not seem to be the issue at hand. I can crop it how ever i want and the white bar does not change one bit. I also should have explained my problem more clearly. i knew the image in the document was really zoomed in and blurry but it was just for reference because i couldn't show any of the real images and after I swapped it with the original i forgot to make it smaller again. It wasn't a problem with the picture or any settings of it that i could find because every image i pasted in had the same problem.

I still don't know what caused it or how to solve this problem but i just moved on by making a new document and copying everything to the new document. It was much less work than i expected to reconstruct everything.

So the problem is kind of solved for me and i don't need anymore suggestions but thanks anyway.

Sincerely Philkas
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Philkas wrote:Thank you for your reply. Unfortunatly cropping does not seem to be the issue at hand.
I am sure it is. When I increased the size of the image I was able to un-crop it to remove the whit bar. The image then behaved normally.

It may be a bug that I could not un-crop the highly magnified small extract of the image.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.