[Solved] How to add new word to a sentence

Discuss the word processor
karu

[Solved] How to add new word to a sentence

Post by karu »

I sure don't remember having this problem before but I can't seem to figure it out.

Long document is double spaced. When trying to add a new word to a sentence the last word of the sentence goes to a new line instead of an existing one.

Do you know how to attempt this? Thanks!
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OPen Office 4.1.10 running on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: How to add new word to a sentence

Post by RoryOF »

Turn on /View /Non Printing characters, and click just before the Pilcrow (Backwards P symbol) then type your word.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It could be that Format > Paragraph > Indents and spacings > Indent > After text ..., has been set to a non-zero value thus shortening the line.

Or you could have a TAB. As Rory says, turn on View > Non Printing characters .., and see what is causing it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
karu

Post by karu »

No solution yet. Could it have anything to do with the Insert key? Thanks!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Upload a sample .odt file - it need only be one page.
karu

Post by karu »

If I have any more trouble I will upload a file. Thanks for your help.

The insert key was on "over" I switched to standard and all seems well.

I am a work in progress :-)
karu

Post by karu »

Tragedy in the Country 1st Draft.odt
(17.2 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Well, the insert key didn't work. Here's the file. I added the word surely and you can see it makes a new line.

This should be simple. Never had it happen before.

Thanks for looking!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As I thought: you are using Writer as a typewriter, and hitting Enter sometimes at the end of lines. You need (read: should) only press Enter at the end of a paragraph. Turn on /View /Non printing characters and you will see that there are two paragraph marks after "Kate", "she", one after "the", "Father's.", and three tabs and a paragraph mark after boy.

You do not need the Paragraph mark after Kate - place cursor in front of "thought", press Delete key twice, then insert a space. Similarly in front of "continued", and in front of "loud" (only one Delete press needed here).

Your true paragraph mark is after "Fathers'." Leave that alone. Turning on /View /non printing characters lets you see this structure - it is good to write with that enabled (the same command turns it off), but it is good to get used to writing with that display enabled.

You may find this document useful in describing how to use Writer:

Writer for students (several languages)

PDF at
http://openoffice-uni.org

Some time reading that will save a lot of frustration and experimentation.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:You need (read: should) only press Enter at the end of a paragraph.
Replace should with must to give "You must only press Enter at the end of a paragraph".

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I don't get it. Why do you type that text into Writer? You could write these words into any text editor and save as plain text without distraction and without any computer related problems while having the advantages of freely editable computer text. Big fat word processors like Writer and Word are unproductive and distracting unless you get involved with this technology which also implies a certain style of writing.

Or something like https://gottcode.org/focuswriter/ FocusWriter saves Open Document Format just like OpenOffice Writer.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
karu

Post by karu »

Villeroy: I take it you use a text editor and just hang out here for the coffee.

John_Ha & RoryOF: Thanks for taking the time to post the info. Yep...I am from the typewriter days. I still on occasion call it the "return" key :D
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

karu wrote:Villeroy: I take it you use a text editor and just hang out here for the coffee.
Villeroy's advice is actually good. If one is writing, one should concentrate on that, and leave the formatting until later.

The first book I ever laid out was in four languages; the files were typed up in Notepad and then poured into PageMaker for final formatting. All done over the Christmas holiday of 1990 on a borrowed PC. (I was a Z80 man).

Since then I have found that Writer will offer adequate formatting capabilities for many forms of text output, but learning how to do that is not a trivial task.
karu

Post by karu »

Yes, I know it was good advice. Oh....I forgot to put the emoticon :D

You have nailed my problem. I am trying to get the formatting right and not concentrating on the story. That was very rough. Mostly thoughts put down. I guess I was thinking that I wouldn't have to go back and fix so much if I got it right the first time.

Question about using a text editor. Can you save it in the "x" format where someone else can edit it later?

You wrote your first book in four languages??!! Wow!

You are right about Writer. It is not as simple as it looks. Frankly, I have only used it to write letters, notes, etc.

Thanks again.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

About using a plain text editor: one can always Save as .txt, with no formatting.

The book I formatted was not my work; the translations came from outside sources, as plain text files.

My experience is that it takes about three projects - each say 32 page illustrated booklets - to start getting to grips with the formatting capabilities of Writer. Using Styles takes a different approach to using a Direct Formatting editor such as MS Word. If one has Wordpad on one's computer, one can do simple formatting, which may be adequate for many projects.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

karu wrote:You have nailed my problem. I am trying to get the formatting right and not concentrating on the story.
Write in flat text. Only when all the text is finished and proof read should you format it.

And never press Enter except to create a new paragraph.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Solved: How to add new word to a sentence

Post by Villeroy »

karu wrote:Villeroy: I take it you use a text editor and just hang out here for the coffee.
I use Writer for letters, orders, contracts on paper with pre-printed company header. I use Writer for database reports (layout and formatting filled with database data). I use Writer when layout and formatting goes to PDF or to paper sheets. 90% of my writing goes to forums like this one or to plain text editors. I could not type anything like a book into Writer. This program would drive me crazy. I would type long structured text as plain text and may be I would dump the plain text into Writer if Writer could add value in respect to layyout and formatting. For long structured text I would take a closer look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown which is plain text with certain markers leading directly to ODF, PDF, HTML.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Re: Solved: How to add new word to a sentence

Post by RoryOF »

I often re-format online books in Writer. Very easy!

Because I have my writer set up with a personal template (a simplified version uploaded earlier in this posting), any book I write personally in Writer is immediately formatted to print on A5 duplex; there is always a little fine tuning to do with a finished text if one is a perfectionist, checking for niceties such as widows and orphans, and trying to make sure a page does not end with a hyphenated word.
karu

Re: [Solved] How to add new word to a sentence

Post by karu »

Yes! Widows & Orphans. I am learning. The page I posted is the first thing I have ever written. Thanks to an ancestor who deserves for her story to be told.

By online books do you mean public domain books? Easy?? Is there a simple tutorial?