[Solved] Line Spacing Non-Paragraph

Discuss the word processor
rrwier

[Solved] Line Spacing Non-Paragraph

Post by rrwier »

Hello Forum,

New member here. 81 years and just a shadow ... be gentle, lol.

This post is a perfect example of my question/problem. To get the line spacing above, I hit "Enter" two times. This is exactly the result I want when using OpenOffice.
The spacing between this line and the one just above is the result of hitting "Enter" only once. This is exactly the result I want when using OpenOffice.

However, in OpenOffice, a single "Enter" gives me the paragraph spacing (double "Enter" hit here).

My search of the Forum shows a work-around (hold the spacebar down until the cursor drops down a single line). I have been using this work-around for several years. Is there a setting to force OpenOffice to do a single line dropdown when hitting the "Enter" key just once?

Thanks!
Robin Wier
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
keme
Volunteer

Re: Line Spacing Non-Paragraph

Post by keme »

To insert a simple line break within a paragraph, hold down shift key when you press return. Note that this makes the new line belonging to the same paragraph as the previous. Press just return to break to next paragraph.
Observe pitfalls:
  • Inserting two line breaks does not constitute a paragraph break.
  • There is a limit to the paragraph length writer will allow.
...or...

Edit the text body paragraph style to set zero spacing above/below. You will then insert an empty paragraph every time you press return twice. This can make a mess in conjunction with other formatting/styling (e.g. bullet lists, headings).

If you do this just for your own note taking, you will be fine either way. If you intend to submit your writing for publishing or professional print, it is a good idea to utilize styles and be conscious about it, and learn how to set spacing, when to use line breaks (very rarely) and when to use paragraph breaks.

I recommend the former approach. Post again if you want detailed steps for the procedure to use the latter. Bill explains the latter approach in his answer below.
Last edited by keme on Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A useful overview of using Writer is given at
Writer for students (several languages)

It is worth reading to get details for how to use Styles.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rrwier

Post by rrwier »

keme wrote: ... hold down shift key when you press return ...
Thank you keme!!! So simple, and yet so hard to find.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

rrwier wrote:However, in OpenOffice, a single "Enter" gives me the paragraph spacing (double "Enter" hit here).
Select Format > Paragraph > Indents & Spacing and check the Spacing: Above paragraph and Spacing: Below paragraph settings. These are both set to zero by default. If one or both settings have been changed to non-zero, then you will get the extra spacing when you hit Enter once.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is best to change the Paragraph Style, as Bill has indicated, rather than to use Line Breaks (Ctrl Return keys), as they can have unfortunate side effects if over-used.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

RoryOF wrote:It is best to change the Paragraph Style, as Bill has indicated, rather than to use Line Breaks (Ctrl Return keys), as they can have unfortunate side effects if over-used.
I strongly disagree on what is best. Certainly, I agree that the line break is not to be over-used, but that doesn't mean it must never be used. In some situations it makes sense.

Rrwier clearly indicates in the OP an understanding of the difference between a new line and a new paragraph (indeed, the subject of the question is "Line Spacing Non-Paragraph"), and expresses the desire to use double spacing between paragraphs. I recognize that for people taught typing on a typewriter, the double return may be deeply rooted in the reflexes. Still, many users find that it is possible, and useful, to retrain when transitioning to word processing.

In most cases of personal use, the choice of approach makes no difference. When it does, in most cases the proper use of line break is better than forcing the insertion of empty paragraphs (which is what happens when you press return twice, and the required solution if you set paragraph spacing to zero when you want spacing between paragraphs).

There. Two different opinions. Rrwier, and other users with similar requirements, can make an informed choice.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There is another way. Use two paragraph styles, one with no paragraph spacing and one with "double spacing". That would avoid the line breaks and the empty paragraphs.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04