[Solved] Remove page numbers in footers of first few pages

Discuss the word processor
gramssearch

[Solved] Remove page numbers in footers of first few pages

Post by gramssearch »

In the past someone from the forum explained to me how to start page numbering with perhaps a section break either before or after the TOC which follows the cover, preface, etc. and then negative offset the page number in the footer of the first page of the body.

Sadly I didn't save the instructions, so a few weeks ago, I posted asking for instructions to do that again. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=105700
What was suggested seemed to work until I realized that it also put page numbers on the cover, preface, TOC, etc.!

I successfully used a negative offset for the first page in the body of a previous document so the caution of never to use that is unfounded in my case. I read another post here and tried out the suggestions for changing page styles with F11 for the pages prior to the body but that didn't work for me.

Surely someone has a relatively easy way to remove the page numbers at the beginning of the document and have the body start with page 1. As I wrote, above, the negative offset worked great. Sure wish I remembered how to do it.

Thanks so much!!
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
OO 4.1.7, Win 7 SP1, Malwarebytes (free, used only for weekly check), Superspyware (free, used only for weekly check), and Msoft Security Essentials
robleyd

Re: Remove page numbers in footers of first few pages

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

There are countless threads about it - search on page number.

See [Example] Document structure and numbering and [Tutorial] Page styles and headers/footers.

Also see the User Guide - see my footer.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Note that the offset is NOT a good practice. Page number should be set with the page style.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sections are not the way to do this.

Every time a Page style changes, usually by the insertion or deletion of items in the header or footer (or both), often Page Numbers, you must insert a manual break and use a different Page Style. With that in mind, consult the documentation indicated earlier.

If you use a Page offset, be certain to check your Table of Contents; almost certainly this will have incorrect page numbers.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gramssearch

Post by gramssearch »

robleyd wrote:See if [Solved] Page numbering starting on page 3 helps. You may find [Tutorial] Page numbering useful also.
Thanks. I looked at the thread you suggested. I did try changing page styles of the first few pages I don't want to have page #s to First Page using F11 and then the first page after the TOC to default. At least I thought I did! However, the style on the first few pages after the actual first page which is the cover will not change to First Page and stay that way.

Before I realized they hadn't changed, I inserted a manual break with style Default after the TOC. Then on the first page formatted as Default I added footer. This applied a footer to all pages, although the page formatted First Page show that the footer is turned off.

What am I missing? Why aren't the pages I set using F11 to First Page changing to that style? Can only one page be considered the First Page?

I looked at the tutorial you mentioned and tried the steps outlined but no luck. I've already consulted the tutorial on page numbering which didn't help.

Thanks so much!
OO 4.1.7, Win 7 SP1, Malwarebytes (free, used only for weekly check), Superspyware (free, used only for weekly check), and Msoft Security Essentials
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Modify your First Page Style on its Organiser tab, so the follow-on page Style is First Page, not Default. You will need to /Insert /Manual Break /Page Break using Default Page style to terminate this sequence.
gramssearch

Post by gramssearch »

RoryOF wrote:Modify your First Page Style on its Organiser tab, so the follow-on page Style is First Page, not Default. You will need to /Insert /Manual Break /Page Break using Default Page style to terminate this sequence.
Thanks! I'll give that try.
gramssearch

Post by gramssearch »

:bravo: Great, thanks! I think I've got it all fixed! :bravo:
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Remove page numbers in footers of first few pag

Post by RoryOF »

If you have used offset, which we don't recommend until one knows exactly what it does, be sure to check your Table of Contents for correct page numbering.
gramssearch

Post by gramssearch »

RoryOF wrote:If you have used offset, which we don't recommend until one knows exactly what it does, be sure to check your Table of Contents for correct page numbering.
Yes, when I used it before the TOC was fine as was the last page number. But I now know an different way and have made myself a note for the future :D

Again, thanks everyone, for your quick assistance :bravo:
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

gramssearch wrote:
RoryOF wrote:If you have used offset, which we don't recommend until one knows exactly what it does, be sure to check your Table of Contents for correct page numbering.
Yes, when I used it before the TOC was fine...
That should not be possible. The TOC displays the page number of a page without any offset. When offset is used in a page number field, the page number of a different page is displayed by the page number field, but that has no effect on the page number in the TOC. To change the page number in the TOC, the page number must be changed, not offset.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
gramssearch

Post by gramssearch »

your comment is a bit beyond my understanding, I just know that I didn't have a problem using a negative offset
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Look at the page number that Table of Contents says a particular chapter starts on, then look at what is the actual page number printed on that Chapter page.