[Solved] Can LO make a list automatically?

Discuss the word processor
prr

[Solved] Can LO make a list automatically?

Post by prr »

Is there a way to have LO make a list if I start Line A with something like "1." (without the quotation marks), and then hit Return? Can I have LO start the next line with "2."?

I know in other word processors this is set up to happen automatically. I know how to tell LO to start a numbering style or list (by going to the toolbar and then selecting which numbered list I want to use), and then if I type in "1.", it will then insert "2." after I hit Return. But is there a way to get it to happen automatically?

I looked in the Tools/Autocorrect/Autocorrect Options window, but didn't see any way to make this happen.
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tag [Solved]
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Can LO make a list automatically?

Post by robleyd »

Fro the offline HELP - F1 - searching for lists: automatic
Help wrote:Creating Numbered or Bulleted Lists as You Type
OpenOffice can automatically apply numbering or bullets as you type.
To Enable Automatic Numbering and Bulleting
1. Choose Tools - AutoCorrect Options, click the Options tab, and then select “Apply numbering – symbol”.
2. Choose Format - AutoCorrect, and ensure that While Typing is selected.

The automatic numbering option is only applied to paragraphs that are formatted with the "Default", "Text body", or "Text body indent" paragraph style.

To Create a Numbered or Bulleted List While You Type
1. Type 1., i., or I. to start a numbered list. Type * or - to start a bulleted list. You can also type a right parenthesis after the number instead of a period , for example, 1) or i).
2. Enter a space, type your text, and then press Enter. The new paragraph automatically receives the next number or bullet.
3. Press Enter again to finish the list.

You can start a numbered list with any number.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
prr

Re: Can LO make a list automatically?

Post by prr »

Thanks. That pointed me in the right direction. I'm actually on 7.2, and didn't see the exact path you gave. Here is from the online help for 7.2, found at https://help.libreoffice.org/7.2/en-US/ ... System=WIN

Code: Select all

LibreOffice can automatically apply numbering or bullets as you type.

To Enable Automatic Numbering and Bulleting
Choose Tools - AutoCorrect - AutoCorrect Options, click the Options tab, and then select “Bulleted and numbered lists”.

Choose Tools - AutoCorrect, and ensure that While Typing is selected.
I did the above and now have automatic numbering.

Thanks, robleyd.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10