{Dropped] Curly quotes refuse to do as I want

Discuss the word processor
RoryOF

Re: Curly quotes refuse to do as I want

Post by RoryOF »

Setup_for_quotes.png
In case it might help, here is my screenshot from Xubuntu 2.04.2, Click on the image to enlarge it. I post it, as you will see it gives e Unicode for each of the selected substitutions.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gpgrego

Post by gpgrego »

Could it possibly depend to the name Font you are using?
Because with the same settings, take a look at the result here.
Attachments
test.jpg
openoffice 4.1.6 - Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

RoryOF wrote:
Setup_for_quotes.png
In case it might help, here is my screenshot from Xubuntu 2.04.2, Click on the image to enlarge it. I post it, as you will see it gives e Unicode for each of the selected substitutions.
In a new installation or after the user profile is reset, "Default" is displayed instead of the Unicode. The Unicode is displayed after selecting a custom replacement character. In your case, the custom replacement character is the same as the default replacement character.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Bill wrote: In a new installation or after the user profile is reset, "Default" is displayed instead of the Unicode. The Unicode is displayed after selecting a custom replacement character. In your case, the custom replacement character is the same as the default replacement character.
I was aware of that, Bill, but as the curliness is not clearly visible on the screenshots under normal circumstances, I posted a picture that gave the normal Unicode values for the default curlies.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

gpgrego wrote:Could it possibly depend to the name Font you are using?
Because with the same settings, take a look at the result here.
Very interesting observation. I guess some fonts include curly quotes and some fonts, like Courier, don't have them so, with those fonts, you are stuck with straight quotes. I have asked the poster to upload a file in her/his other thread so we can see what font (s)he is calling for.
 Edit: I just tested by inserting quotes into Times New Roman text - they went in as curly quotes.

When I changed the font to Courier Prime, the quotes were straight.

Hence, the Courier Prime font does not include curly quotes. Insert > Special characters ..., gives this set of quotes.
Clipboard01.png

Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

@John_Ha: note that, although the quotes lllustrated in that earlier post were not all "curly"; they were "handed", i.e., beginning and ending quotes, so one should be able to spot the substitution of the handed quotes for the normal (unhanded) " quote character.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have tried with Courier New, and the quotes are handed; also handed with Courier 10 Pitch. Examine at higher magnification to see. It is reasonable that a typewriter font might not have handed quotes, although now most fonts do have extended character sets, not merely ASCII 96.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rory

This is in AOO ...
Clipboard01.png
I checked some fonts with AMP Font Viewer and lots of fonts don't have curly quotes - eg comic sans ms, corbel, courier and variants, gadugi, glasgow, ..., ms serif, ms sans serif, open symbol, segoe and variants, tahoma ..., and so on.
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Handed_quotes.png
One can see that the quotes are handed in Courier New, see my sample. They are also handed in Courier Prime - try a sample at 90 pt; they are (leading quote) pyramid shaped, (trailing quote) inverted pyramid. The handing of the quotes is the equivalent of "curly", which the font designer did not implement as it might not have fitted his design.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:
Handed_quotes.png
The handing of the quotes is the equivalent of "curly"
I take your point but "curly" to me means curved :super:

Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There appears to be a bug in the dialogs used to select the special characters for replacement quotes that may be misleading. The dialogs sometimes display characters for the wrong font. For example, if I choose Courier New for my font (which has no curly quotes), then go to Tools > AutoCorrect Options > Localized Options, then click the "Start Quote" button, the Start quote dialog opens showing characters in Times New Roman which does have curly quotes. Selecting the curly quote here will not make Courier New show curly quotes. Courier New must be changed to a different font which does have curly quotes.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Bill

I don't think that is a bug - I think it is "working as designed".

The TNR font is probably hard coded in the dialogue (as opposed to using the font where the cursor is) precisely because it has curly quotes and curly quotes can thus be shown. That being said, it would help if there was a qualifier: "not all fonts include curly quotes".

Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

While it's working as designed, it's still misleading for users who don't know that if they select a curly quote on the dialog, they won't actually get a curly quote in their text while typing if they have chosen a font that doesn't have curly quotes. I did find this bug about being unable to select the font for custom quotes:

Issue 98136 - Cannot select font for custom quotes