[Solved] Auto-completion is a nuisance

Discuss the word processor
chrijeff

[Solved] Auto-completion is a nuisance

Post by chrijeff »

I really don't need the distraction of that blue suggestion thingy that Auto-Text puts up when I'm writing. (I happen to be an excellent speller and always have been--and I know what I want to write next; I don't need suggestions.) Is there any way I can deactivate A.T.? I tried Format: Auto Correct: While Typing, and all that did was stop my quotes from being Smart, which I don't want.

Relatedly--I get the usual red wavy line under most of my capitalized words, because they're chiefly names and the software doesn't recognize them. Is there a way to tell it to ignore Capitalized Words?

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
Last edited by chrijeff on Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Re: Auto-text is a nuisance

Post by RoryOF »

Better to enter Capitalised words into a custom dictionary for that particular work.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
chrijeff

Post by chrijeff »

Impossible. There are hundreds!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See the Writer tutorial on Automatic Functions.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

chrijeff wrote:I get the usual red wavy line under most of my capitalized words, because they're chiefly names and the software doesn't recognize them. Is there a way to tell it to ignore Capitalized Words?
I forgot to add this.

No.

Click Add ..., to add the word to one of your custom dictionaries. It will accept it thereafter even in other documents. Or, if you have a list of the words, create a txt file with them in and save it as a Custom dictionary like C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\wordbook\standard.dic.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

chrijeff wrote:I really don't need the distraction of that blue suggestion thingy that Auto-Text puts up when I'm writing. (I happen to be an excellent speller and always have been--and I know what I want to write next; I don't need suggestions.) Is there any way I can deactivate A.T.?
The "blue suggestion thingy" sounds like a Word Completion suggestion. If the suggestions are from AutoText, select Edit > AutoText and uncheck "Display remainder of name as suggestion while typing". If the suggestions are from Word Completion, select Tools > AutoCorrect Options > Word Completion and uncheck "Enable word completion".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

As there is a spelling option to ignore words with numbers a very clumsy workaround would be to add a digit to the word and then hide that digit by setting its character width to 0% and its font color to white (or its background color if different). Not very practical for a lot of words though.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This is the tutorial mentioned by John_Ha: [Tutorial] Automatic functions in Writer - enable / disable. It deals with the auto correct feature which is useful when you want to replace "simple characters" with "special characters" such as straight quotes with typographic quotes, 1/2 with ½, --> with → etc. This featue modifies content as you type. It can also fix common typos.
The tutorial also deals with paragraph border which is rather confusing because this is a formatting attribute like the font, color or spacing of a paragraph. Ater typing 3 dashes and a paragraph break the dashes are replaced with a formatting attribute showing a horizontal line. This can be rather confusing because the line is not a selectable item, nevertheless useful if you know about it.

You use the term "Auto-text" in your subject. This is something completely different. Auto-text inserts a prepared snippet of text when you hit F3 after typing some shortcut. Type dt and hit F3 which inserts a paragraph of dummy text into your document. This is useful to insert frequently used text snippets, a disclaimer, legal clause, any kind of phrase. Ctrl+F3 opens a dialog where you see all defined auto-texts. On top of that dialog you see an option to show an auto-text reminder or not. If this option is on, you can type the long name of an auto text shortcut and when the reminder appears, you can insert the auto-text by hitting the Enter key. You get the same dummy text as with dt F3 when you type dummy and hit Enter when the reminder appears.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Re: Auto-completion is a nuisance

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've edited the topic title accordingly.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
chrijeff

Re: Auto-completion is a nuisance

Post by chrijeff »

Thank you. I unchecked Auto-Correct. I sort of half thought it might be something like that, but I was a little afraid to use it on a software that I'm still getting used to.

As for the capitalized words, well, maybe the next edition will fix that. I hope.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Auto-completion is a nuisance - solved

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice is a dead project. Almost nothing is fixed in OpenOffice.
Install the successor: https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/ and file a feature request.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Auto-completion is a nuisance

Post by JeJe »

Impossible. There are hundreds!
You can use the attached document to create a list of your proper non dictionary words. Paste some text into it and press the button and it will create a new document with the list of proper words (hopefully... quickly adapted some code for it... may not do a perfect job. Macros will have to be enabled)
Attachments
make word list.odt
(15.17 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
MrProgrammer

Re: [Solved] Auto-completion is a nuisance

Post by MrProgrammer »

chrijeff wrote:I get the usual red wavy line under most of my capitalized words, because they're chiefly names and the software doesn't recognize them. Is there a way to tell it to ignore Capitalized Words?
Disable this option. Options are set with OpenOffice → Preferences on a Mac, Tools → Options on other platforms.
Spelling.gif
chrijeff wrote:I happen to be an excellent speller and always have been …
Since you're a proficient speller, you may want to uncheck all the spelling options. You can trigger spell check on demand with F7.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).