[Solved] TOC page numbers to reflect manual offset

Discuss the word processor
gramssearch

[Solved] TOC page numbers to reflect manual offset

Post by gramssearch »

I've created a TOC and I also manually set my page numbers after the TOC to be offset by -6. The TOC is still showing the page numbers without the offset. How do I fix this please?
Thanks!
Beth
using 4.1.10
Last edited by RoryOF on Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
FJCC

Re: TOC page numbers to reflect manual offset

Post by FJCC »

There is a page numbering tutorial that has a section on setting the page numbers. The relevant part is:
Restarting a page number
Never use the Offset feature you can see in the page number field dialog! The ToC is based on the real page numbering and it doesn't take into account the offset feature. Moreover, your last page won't have any numbering if the correction is positive.

Go to the first paragraph of the page to be renumbered, right click and select Paragraph to edit its properties (not Edit Paragraph style).
Go to the Text Flow tab, in the Breaks section, adjust the page number.
You can find the tutorial here.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
gramssearch

Post by gramssearch »

Thank you so very much! I'll be tweaking the doc with fingers crossed that I get it all fixed.
OO 4.1.7, Win 7 SP1, Malwarebytes (free, used only for weekly check), Superspyware (free, used only for weekly check), and Msoft Security Essentials
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Don't forget to remove the existing offset!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gramssearch

Post by gramssearch »

yep - and all fixed. Thanks again, RoryOF!
OO 4.1.7, Win 7 SP1, Malwarebytes (free, used only for weekly check), Superspyware (free, used only for weekly check), and Msoft Security Essentials
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

beexxxxx@gmail.com wrote: I'll be tweaking the doc ...
Be sure always to save as a .odt file and not as a .doc file. See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of differences and for why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp etc.

May I suggest you change your username. Spammers search the web for email IDs and your username is your email ID. You risk being inundated with spam ...

Ask a moderator to do it for you.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
gramssearch

Re: SOLVED: TOC page numbers to reflect manual offset

Post by gramssearch »

Thanks John, Yes I do always save as .odt unless I want it in a MS for some reason (primarily to use my MS Word Starter program to check spelling and grammar). Also thanks for the heads up about my username. I'm usually more particular :D