Help with Corrupted OpenOffice ODT File

Discuss the word processor
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Help with Corrupted Open Office ODT File.

Post by John_Ha »

Hagar Delest wrote:Well, a save operation should be secure enough to take into account this possibility, which is NOT uncommon.
I completely agree and it is something I recommended in my 2016 paper Four user problems with Writer
I worked in the IT industry and I am thinking of a banking transaction using, for example, IBM’s CICS Transaction Manager, where a transaction completes to its very end; or is backed out completely to where it started, under any and all failure circumstances. It is designed to prevent a
situation where one bank account is credited with money without the corresponding bank account being debited with the money, and vice versa. Either both happen; or neither happens.
It is also known as an "atomic save".
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Help with Corrupted OpenOffice ODT File

Post by John_Ha »

It may be possible to recover previous versions of the file.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are to be deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
robleyd

Re: Help with Corrupted OpenOffice ODT File

Post by robleyd »

I suggested these steps in my first reply and in a later response to OP but they haven't replied to say whether they tried and with what success.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers