[Solved] No strikethrough option

Discuss the word processor
Eddie Dee

[Solved] No strikethrough option

Post by Eddie Dee »

I'm trying to edit a document and want to use a "strikethrough" The directions say to go "Styles". The only option is "Styles and Formatting" under "Format". Nowhere in any of various options in the window that opens is there a "strikethrough" option. There used to be a strikethrough, but it's just gone. Also, I have "Changes" selected/turned on, but when I edit the document it doesn't actually show them. It's like I'm just typing a document from scratch.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed second question from Subject field; Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Windows 10. Open Office Version 4.1.10
RoryOF

Re: No strikethrough option, Changes not working

Post by RoryOF »

Try /Format /Character : Font effects tab.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Eddie Dee

Post by Eddie Dee »

RoryOF wrote:Try /Format /Character : Font effects tab.
Thanks. Obviously, the Help directions need to be fixed, though. Any idea why it's not showing changes like it should?
Windows 10. Open Office Version 4.1.10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I never use Track Changes, so can only suggest you uncheck /Edit /Changes /Show, restart OpenOffice and recheck that setting. Sometimes OpenOffice settings stick and the cure is to unset them, restart, then reset them.

In the Font effects tab for most styles in Styles and Formatting, one can set strikethrough.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Eddie Dee wrote:The directions say to go "Styles". The only option is "Styles and Formatting" under "Format". Nowhere in any of various options in the window that opens is there a "strikethrough" option.
You're looking in the menu bar which is the wrong place. The directions in Help say "Open context menu - choose Style - Strikethrough". Context menus are opened by right-clicking on something. In this case, select some text, then right-click on the selected text to open the context menu where you can select "Style - Strikethrough".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
MrProgrammer

Re: No strikethrough option

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Eddie Dee wrote:The directions say to go "Styles".
There are thousands of places where one might have found directions for OpenOffice. These include the OpenOffice help system, the The Apache OpenOffice Documentation Project, this forum, and countless web pages. It would have been helpful if you had said specifically where you found what you read, or at least told us everything that your directions said. Based on your post, I will guess that you are referring to:
Strikethrough.gif
Eddie Dee wrote:Obviously, the Help directions need to be fixed, though.
When I open the context menu and choose Style → Strikethrough, the result is that a strikethrough is applied to the selected text. The procedure in the OpenOffice Help page works for me. The picture shows the result after using the depicted menu item. You will want to review the link in this paragraph if you are not familiar with the term "context menu".
Foo.gif
Eddie Dee wrote:There used to be a strikethrough, but it's just gone.
Perhaps you are remembering this method, which is still available.
FontEffects.gif
Eddie Dee wrote:Also, I have "Changes" selected/turned on, but when I edit the document it doesn't actually show them.
One subject per topic, please. This topic concerns applying strikethrough formatting. Open another topic to discuss problems with activating Edit → Changes, though you may be able to find an answer more quickly by searching the forum or reading the documentation: Working with Text, Tracking changes to a document, Page 34

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).