[Solved I guess] Pages/view jerks suddenly when I click Save

Discuss the word processor
yohejohn

[Solved I guess] Pages/view jerks suddenly when I click Save

Post by yohejohn »

Hello,

I feel like there's a small glitch in Writer (in LibreOffice, 7.0.4.2) on my MacBook Air: When I'm working on a document, revising/editing, I'll make a change, then may scroll down a page or two (or more) and decide I should 'save' what changes I made. But when I click Save, my view, gets shifted back to where ever I left the cursor. Like the view in the document jerks back suddenly to where the cursor is at.

Not the end of the world, but I can't conceive of why anyone would want this function?

Would it be possible to have the program NOT shift the view/page when we use the Save function? That is, when we click Save, to just to the 'save' function without moving the view/page back? Or is there some way for individuals to change this on their own?

Hope I'm explaining myself well here. I LOVE LibreOffice and recommend it all everyone whenever I can. Tried to get my school to adopt it. No success there though.

Thanks,

John
Last edited by yohejohn on Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIbreOffice Version 7.0.4.2
Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: pages/view jerks suddenly when I click Save

Post by John_Ha »

yohejohn wrote:I can't conceive of why anyone would want this function?
It is so that, when you open a saved document, it opens where you last were.

Tools > Options > OO > User data. Remove your name and initials. AOO now does not know who you are and, for privacy, opens at the start.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
FJCC

Re: Pages/view jerks suddenly when I click Save

Post by FJCC »

I do not see this behavior in OpenOffice. Can someone reproduce it in AOO or LO?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

FJCC wrote:I do not see this behavior in OpenOffice. Can someone reproduce it in AOO or LO?
Good point! I was confusing it with opening the document again, not with just saving it. It does not do it for me either.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I confirm - display is steady when I Save, even if cursor is elsewhere.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

yohejohn wrote:I feel like there's a small glitch in Writer (in LibreOffice, 7.0.4.2) on my MacBook Air
Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Works fine for me with LO 7.0.6.2 on Xubuntu.
Do you use the standard interface (Ctrl+S or save icon)? or a script? I do use a macro in some cases and it performs other things that shift the view to the position where the cursor is. But if I remove those actions, leaving the save operation only, it doesn't change the view.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
yohejohn

Post by yohejohn »

John_Ha wrote:
yohejohn wrote:I feel like there's a small glitch in Writer (in LibreOffice, 7.0.4.2) on my MacBook Air
Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.

If I attempt this, which seems way above my intelligence level, will I lose other modifications I've made? Like being able to automatically open Word docs?

I'm worried I'll mess up and things will be worse.
Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2
yohejohn

Post by yohejohn »

Hagar Delest wrote:Works fine for me with LO 7.0.6.2 on Xubuntu.
Do you use the standard interface (Ctrl+S or save icon)? or a script? I do use a macro in some cases and it performs other things that shift the view to the position where the cursor is. But if I remove those actions, leaving the save operation only, it doesn't change the view.
I just use control + S.

I don't understand the rest of your explanation? I'm just a simple english major....

If this isn't happening to anyone else, which it seems like it's not, then I'll just live with it. I don't 'nerd out' with computer problems, I just get high anxiety. I just thought other people might be having this problem and that the designers might want to know. My bad. User error, I guess.

So, not "solved," but I'm not willing to go any further off the map. There be dragons.

Cheers,

John
Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2
yohejohn

Post by yohejohn »

Ok, now it's not doing it. I don't know what happened. Sorry to waste everyone's time....

John
Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

yohejohn wrote:I feel like there's a small glitch in Writer (in LibreOffice, 7.0.4.2) on my MacBook Air: When I'm working on a document, revising/editing, I'll make a change, then may scroll down a page or two (or more) and decide I should 'save' what changes I made. But when I click Save, my view, gets shifted back to where ever I left the cursor. Like the view in the document jerks back suddenly to where the cursor is at.
If you're using RTF or DOCX, you may need to upgrade LO. I see this problem for RTF and DOCX in LO 6.3.3, but not in LO 7.1.3.2. This problem was fixed for most file formats in LO 6.2.0, but the fix for RTF and DOCX came later.
Bug 41063 - Saving/Autosaving (Save/Autosave) while in table causes view to jump to cursor position

See Comment #13 in this bug:
Bug 135244 - Document (still) scrolling to cursor position on different occurrences .
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04