[Solved] Problem importing documents from other formats

Discuss the word processor
WanderingOak

[Solved] Problem importing documents from other formats

Post by WanderingOak »

I have a new installation of Libra Office 7.0.6.2 on OSX 10.11.6 (Can't upgrade any further). Whenever I try to import a document that is not formatted .odf such as .doc or .rtf, the page layout comes out very strange. The documents is shown as facing pages, as if it was in a book. This makes editing a document very difficult. I've also seen this when working with a new text document as well. The document opens in the left gutter, and I need to scroll right in order to see the document, even though the layout is set to 'right and left'. I could change the view from normal to web view, but then I am unable to see the page breaks, headers, footers etc. This can be partially corrected by choosing 'only left' or 'only right' page layout. However, when I do that, I have a huge gutter on one side (or a blank page), and it throws off my page numbering.

I recently migrated from Libre Office 4.2.8.2, because that version was having similar problems importing files. I have Libre Office 6.1.5.2 running on a Debian Linux laptop, and it does not have the same problems importing or creating new documents that my Mac does.

Is anybody else experiencing these problems?
Last edited by WanderingOak on Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 7.0.6.2 on MacOS 10.11.6 / LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 on Debian 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Problem importing documents from other formats

Post by Bill »

It's not a problem. There are icons in the Status bar (below the page) for "Single-page view", "Multiple-page view" and "Book view". You probably accidentally clicked "Book view".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
WanderingOak

Re: Problem importing documents from other formats

Post by WanderingOak »

Bill wrote:It's not a problem. There are icons in the Status bar (below the page) for "Single-page view", "Multiple-page view" and "Book view". You probably accidentally clicked "Book view".
That fixed the problem. I don't remember clicking on it at all. When I upgraded my Mac to 7.0.6.2, did it copy the preferences from the previous version, so it became the default view?
LibreOffice 7.0.6.2 on MacOS 10.11.6 / LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 on Debian 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [solved]Problem importing documents from other formats

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of differences and for why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp etc.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.