How to customize page numbers WITHOUT a page break

Discuss the word processor
mrfixiter

How to customize page numbers WITHOUT a page break

Post by mrfixiter »

Hi :)

I have a 16 page document that needs page numbers added. The page numbering needs to begin on page 8 and continue to page 23 (that should be 16 pages)
I read the tutorial here: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... _numbering
I was able to:
  • Create a header
    Insert the page number field
    Using the Text Flow Format dialog box, I inserted a page break (why is this mandatory?)
    Set the page numbering to page 8
    Then hit OK.
Everything is fine except there is an unwanted blank page created before the original document. I read some more details about the page numbering steps and found this:
Do not set a starting page number that is an even number because you will end up with a blank page before the first page when you print the file or export it as a PDF.
So I changed the page numbering to start at page 7 instead of page 8. It didn't make any difference. There still is a blank page before the document begins.

Is there a simple solution to this?

Thanks for your reply.
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: How to customize page numbers WITHOUT a page break

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload your ODF type sample document.
We can guessing only - without a sample document. We must see, how do you use the Page styles and other settings in your document. Delete the sensitive comtent (or substitite it some dummy content): only the structure and the settings are interesting.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
mrfixiter

Post by mrfixiter »

It would have been more work and time than it was worth to edit out the sensitive parts and upload the document. Instead, I tried every possible workaround and found that if you hit the F11 key, then choose a different paragraph style, for example the "text" style, then the blank page does not get created. If you'd like to comment on why this workaround was successful, I'd be interested to find out.

Thanks for your reply. :)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

if you hit the F11 key, then choose a different paragraph style, for example the "text" style, then the blank page does not get created. If you'd like to comment on why this workaround was successful, I'd be interested to find out.
Which part of the document you applied the different paragraph style to?

Maybe the font size is smaller than the original one, and (now) the text not overflow onto the next page...
Maybe there are empty paragraphs at the end of the document. You can make visible them by usage the "Show non printing characters" feature. (The pilcrow icon on the toolbar).
Maybe...
Maybe...
We can guessing only...
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
mrfixiter

Post by mrfixiter »

The style change was applied to the entire document. There were some empty paragraphs at the beginning of the document as it introduced the title of the first chapter. I don't see how that would matter though because when you add empty paragraphs, shouldn't the blank lines be added on at the bottom of the document rather than at the top?

Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

There were some empty paragraphs at the beginning of the document as it introduced the title of the first chapter.
Use the Title paragraph style, and adjust the Spacing property of the Title paragraph style. (and adjust all of other parameters if the default properties are not approriate for you.)

It is a 'Typewriter era solution' to use lots of "Enter"-s, "Space"-s and "TAB"-s for formatting a document.
mrfixiter

Post by mrfixiter »

It is a 'Typewirter era solution' to use lots of "Enter"-s, "Space"-s and "TAB"-s for formatting a document.
I agree with you there! The person I am helping is computer literate but does not give up old habits easily. Thanks for the tip about the Title paragraph style. I'll check it out.

Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

title of the first chapter
And there is a very useful feature: the 'Chapter Numbering' feature (use it even if you want not NUMBERING the chapters). It is useful for the chapter title texts too, and you will able to generate a "Contents list" automatically and dinamically by usage of this feature.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You don't need to create a page break to change the page numbering. But you need to set it in the first paragraph of the page. Right click in that first paragraph and in the Text flow tab of its properties, add the break with the page style and the correct number.
In the options (Tools>Options>Writer>Print) you can uncheck the Print automatically inserted blank pages.
The blank page should still show in the print preview if it starts with an even number to meet the odd number on a right page rule. However, it will not be printed or even exported in PDF.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mrfixiter

Post by mrfixiter »

Hagar Delest wrote:You don't need to create a page break to change the page numbering. But you need to set it in the first paragraph of the page. Right click in that first paragraph and in the Text flow tab of its properties, add the break with the page style and the correct number.
In the options (Tools>Options>Writer>Print) you can uncheck the Print automatically inserted blank pages.
The blank page should still show in the print preview if it starts with an even number to meet the odd number on a right page rule. However, it will not be printed or even exported in PDF.
I need to mull this over. I'm going to create a new test document with a few pages and see just how all of this fits together.

mrfixiter

Post by mrfixiter »

Hagar Delest wrote:
You don't need to create a page break to change the page numbering. But you need to set it in the first paragraph of the page. Right click in that first paragraph and in the Text flow tab of its properties, add the break with the page style and the correct number.
I do not see any option in the Print attributes dialog box that says, Print automatically inserted blank pages. Does that option only appear as a choice when other conditions are met? If so, what are the conditions? By the way, I am not interested in differentiating between even and odd page number positions. This is only for composing a draft.

Thanks for your reply.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice Writer : Print

Mac Users: Options is under Preferences on a Mac.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mrfixiter

[Solved] Re: How to customize page numbers WITHOUT a page br

Post by mrfixiter »

It is in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice Writer : Print
Well that did the trick. :super:

Initially I was looking in: /Tools /Options /OpenOffice/ rather than Tools /Options /OpenOffice Writer/. :knock:

Thanks for your reply.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

mrfixiter wrote:Everything is fine except there is an unwanted blank page created before the original document.
Probably because you have a Page Style LEFT following a page also with Page Style LEFT. Writer inserts a blank RIGHT page so as to accomplish what you are asking.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.