Can't load a file after computer crash

Discuss the word processor
ijerryc

Can't load a file after computer crash

Post by ijerryc »

Picture for OpenOfifice.jpg
Was editing an ODT file when my laptop overheated and shut down. After rebooting the file I was editing won't load. I get a message that says the file is locked by an unknown user. After selecting the option to open the file I get a second message to choose the type of ascii file. Then it brings up my document but I can't see any text except for pound signs on every page and the text type is set at "preformatted text". All my other files are okay.
Last edited by ijerryc on Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
openOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Can't load a file after computer crash

Post by John_Ha »

ijerryc wrote:I can't see any text except for pound signs [ #### ] on every page and the text type is set at "preformatted text". All my other files are okay.
See Why is my Writer file full of #####? for an explanation of files full of null characters which Writer displays as #####.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.