[Solved] Highlight color for Find & Replace: how to change ?

Discuss the word processor
gthcd

[Solved] Highlight color for Find & Replace: how to change ?

Post by gthcd »

Hello,

Would appreciate your help please.

On my installation when I use Find & Replace the matches are highlighted in *very* light blue which makes them difficult to spot on the screen.

How do I change this color to something more visible ?

Thanks
Last edited by robleyd on Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Open Office 4.1.10 on MAC OSX 10.13.6
Hagar Delest

Re: Highlight color for Find & Replace : how to change ?

Post by Hagar Delest »

See if that helps:
- Background color for text I want to correct
- [Solved] Selection highlight color black instead of blue

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
gthcd

Re: Highlight color for Find & Replace : how to change ?

Post by gthcd »

Thanks Hagar Delest, it did help.

I turned OpenOffice > View > Selection > Transparency off. Any selected text (including Find & Replace matches) is now displayed with a black background, text color inverted. Not exactly what I was looking for – some nice background color – but at least I can now easily spot the found matches on the screen.

Trick : if you don't want to change any of the default preferences of your instance of OO/Writer and you have trouble spotting the matches of Find & Replace (because they are highlighted in so light a blue that you can't locate them on the screen) use the 'Highlighting' button on the Formatting toolbar once a match has been found. Now, if you have chosen a very visible color, you see where the match is. DO NOT FORGET TO TURN HIGHLIGHTING OFF before going to the next match, otherwise your found text becomes permanently highlighted.

Thanks again.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Highlight color for Find & Replace: how to chan

Post by Bill »

Transparency is an AOO setting, but the highlight color for selected text is an operating system setting. Try these instructions:

How to Change the Selection Highlight Color in Mac OS X
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
gthcd

Re: [Solved] Highlight color for Find & Replace: how to chan

Post by gthcd »

Thanks very much Bill.

I had a suspicion that it was an OS thing and checked with TextEdit and then with MSWord. The highlight color for Find matches in those two applications is yellow irrespective of what the general MAC OS preferences say (blue by default). Then I dropped the idea. I was wrong : OO/Writer does obey the general OS preferences and if I change it to, say, orange, then the Find matches in OO are indeed highlighted in orange (while TextEdit and MSWord keep ignoring the OS setting and stick to their yellow highlighting).

I am sure I am sill missing something here but it is not important. You did solve my problem. Many thanks again.

P.S. Text selection in TextEdit and MSWord are highlighted according to the OS setting. The yellow thing seems to apply only to Find matches (and perhaps to other special things that I have not tested).