[Solved] Additional pages into newsletter

Discuss the word processor
Ruthie Howard

[Solved] Additional pages into newsletter

Post by Ruthie Howard »

Hi, I'm trying to add a page into an open office newsletter template. I did it last time but can't remember how!
The instructions elsewhere on help etc don't work as drop down menu doesn't have the options referred to.

The template has 2 pages with a variety of different size text boxes. It allows boxes to be deleted or to have text/graphics inserted but when the amount of text exceeds the size of the box, the excess content just disappears, when in a normal document it drops onto a new page below.
Thnx Ruthie
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tag [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: additional pages into newsletter

Post by Bill »

Is the template available for download? How do we find the instructions in Help so we can find out what they say? Generally, you can add a blank page to a text document by selecting Insert > Manual break > Page break. Otherwise, the user adds content and new pages are generated automatically.

Edit: If you just need to know how to open a template for editing, select File > Templates > Edit and select the template.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Ruthie Howard

Re: Additional pages into newsletter

Post by Ruthie Howard »

I have downloaded template and used it for one complete newsletter. I've started next newsletter, need a 3rd page.
Insert - manual break - page break route doesn't work - its only showing line and column break not page break.
New page isn't generating automatically.
File - templates - edit route doesn't work - the commands menu in that only show printer settings
I'm referring to the 'help' function on any open office document. I put in the query 'add an extra page to open office newsletter template'
Last edited by Ruthie Howard on Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Turn on /View /Non printing characters and position your cursor after the last character on the last page. Then /Insert /Manual Break, Page Break and you should get a new page. Turn off /View /non printing characters if desired.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Ruthie Howard

Post by Ruthie Howard »

unfortunately no
the insert-manual break still only has line or column break options. the page break option is not live
Last edited by Ruthie Howard on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

How are your columns defined - are they Columns on a page, or are you using a table to imitate the column structure?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Ruthie Howard wrote:The template has 2 pages with a variety of different size text boxes.
Ruthie Howard wrote:unfortunately no
the insert-manual break still only has line or column break options. the page break option is not live
Make sure you click at the end of the page and not in one of the text boxes before selecting Insert > Manual break. You can't insert a page break in a text box.
Ruthie Howard

Post by Ruthie Howard »

the cursor will not click anywhere except the text box or the footer. either way there is no page break option
Ruthie Howard

Post by Ruthie Howard »

Rory - I'm not using columns or table only text boxes provided on the template
Ruthie Howard

Post by Ruthie Howard »

RoryOF wrote:How are your columns defined - are they Columns on a page, or are you using a table to imitate the column structure?
Ruthie Howard

Post by Ruthie Howard »

I chose a template with boxes only, no columns. My content isn't using columns or tables
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Ruthie Howard wrote:the cursor will not click anywhere except the text box or the footer. either way there is no page break option
Page breaks can only be inserted in page text. They can not be inserted in text boxes of footers. Provide a link to the template or upload a sample document so we can see why you can't click in page text.
Ruthie Howard

Post by Ruthie Howard »

how do I upload a document?
Ruthie Howard

Post by Ruthie Howard »

https://templates.openoffice.org/en/sea ... order=DESC

nb my first issue went automatically to an additional page when needed
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The last paragraph mark on the second page text area is on the right side of the turkey graphic. You should see it if you have enabled View > Nonprinting characters as was previously suggested. Click in the text area to the right of the graphic to select it, then use Insert > Manual Break > Page break. That should add a new page, but the 3 text frames below the graphic will also move to the new page because they are anchored "To character". To prevent this, change the anchors of the text frames from "To character" to "To paragraph" before inserting the page break.
Ruthie Howard

Post by Ruthie Howard »

Thanks Bill.
I don't understand about the anchors...
But I've resolved it by deleting the text box that I was using which allows me to write directly on the page and in that way additional pages are automatically generated. This is obviously what I did for the previous newsletter, without understanding the implications of not/doing so.

BIG THANX to everyone who helped me with this - the combination of the comments from different people allowed me to understand what was happening and then to realise what I had previously done differently that avoided the problem. I'm so grateful for his forum!

Ruthie
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Additional pages into newsletter

Post by RoryOF »

If doing serious formatting on a document, it is useful to leave /View /Non printing characters enabled, also /View /Field shadings. Neither of these display settings print, but they are very helpful in the editing process. They can be turned on/off as required, but eventually one gets used to them and might not work without them.
Ruthie Howard

Re: [Solved] Additional pages into newsletter

Post by Ruthie Howard »

Thank you, Rory