[Solved] Cannot display two docs next to each other

Discuss the word processor
bobxnowak

[Solved] Cannot display two docs next to each other

Post by bobxnowak »

When I open one doc and try to make it narrower I used pull the right side to the left and get a gray space into which I could open a second doc. Now a formatting info appears which is completely useless and when I try to open a second doc it simply covers the entire screen. How can I display two docs side by side? I need that for translating!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.7
Win 10
RoryOF

Re: Writer: Cannot display two docs next to each other - Whe

Post by RoryOF »

To turn off the Formatting information, try unchecking /View /Side bar. Open your second document, reduce it from full screen and pull lefthand side to the right. You should then be able to have both windows side by side.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

bobxnowak wrote:When I open one doc and try to make it narrower I used pull the right side to the left and get a gray space into which I could open a second doc. Now a formatting info appears
It sounds like you pulled the Sidebar edge which is between the Sidebar and the document pane instead of the window edge. That changes the width of the sidebar instead of the width of the window.

Many modern window managers make it easy to get two windows side-by-side. In Windows 10, pull the title bar of one window to the left edge of the screen to snap the window to the left half of the screen, then pull the title bar of the other window to the right edge of the screen to snap the window to the right half of the screen. If you prefer keyboard shortcuts, select a window and press Windows key + Left Arrow to snap it to the left or Windows key + Right Arrow to snap it to the right.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Were I needing two side by side OpenOffice Windows, I would investigate a cheap graphics card add-in that will permit two monitors on a desktop. If using a laptop, almost every laptop of the past 15 or so years will accept a second monitor - usually using a VGA or HDMI connection.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is a free application designed for translators; this can be downloaded from https://omegat.org