[Solved] Formatting Issue in Email Attachment

Discuss the word processor
asherblake

[Solved] Formatting Issue in Email Attachment

Post by asherblake »

Hi.
Someone is sending me an .odt file over gmail. The formatting is significantly different. The PDF is fine. I use open office all the time and have never had this problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Libre Office 6.3 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Formatting Issue in Email Attachment

Post by robleyd »

First thing that comes to my mind is that fonts have been used in the document that you do not have on your computer. From memory, LibreOffice will show these fonts in your font list in italic, signifying that the font is not available on your computer.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
asherblake

Post by asherblake »

OK thanks. I do have them on my computer. But the person who was preparing the document, if the fonts came through on his PDF, but not on his .odt, then certainly he had the fonts on his computer right? Even if he was just cutting and pasting?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Page size the same on both computers? One might be US Letter, the other A4.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
asherblake

Post by asherblake »

Yes I checked that. The page size is the same. Thank you.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Remember that the font indicated in an .odt file is the font requested; if it is not present on the computer showing the file, a close substitute is used silently.

One needs to install the TestFont utility to verify if fonts are present or not.
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/download/17755
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

PDF's embed the fonts being used but .odt files do not.

Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for.

If the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available, and use that substitute font to display the text.

The TestFonts add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on a Windows 10 PC by Start > Settings > Personalisation > Fonts > Available fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts. Other OS should be similar.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
asherblake

Post by asherblake »

They you both. It turns out he didn't have the fonts installed. He was just copying and pasting and that must be the problem.
He's going to straighten it out, and I expect that will solve the formatting problems.
Thanks again.