Corrupt Documents Format error discovered in the file in sub

Discuss the word processor
instructorsir

Corrupt Documents Format error discovered in the file in sub

Post by instructorsir »

DOC - CFRP GM - WORKSTATION:

Read Error.
Format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,283628(row,col).

DOC - CFRP MAIN - UPDATE ALPHA 12.3.2020:

Read Error.
Format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,1378484(row,col).

I have been able to access the content.xml for both calc docs. I can even use an online validate tool to find the line of the error. But that is where all my knowledge falls short. I have poured over these forums and still do not understand how to manually fix these errors.
The files were corrupted during a power failure. I am a GM and have several people who gather every Wednesday to playtest this system. I rely on the information in these documents to run each session. Normally I have backups, but I have not saved a backup in almost two months (my error). Is anyone able to assist in uncorrupting these documents? Any assistance would be appreciated.

The files were too big to attach, I had to use Dropbox.
The two below links will take you to the documents.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gf38mfzik9nd4 ... N.ods?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbjvm7v9vk08y ... 9.ods?dl=0
Last edited by instructorsir on Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Libreoffice 7.0.5.2 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Corrupt Documents Format error discovered in the file in

Post by robleyd »

Can you upload the problem documents so someone can attempt to repair them?

See How to attach a document for details regarding attaching a document.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
instructorsir

Post by instructorsir »

I thought I did, but when I attempt to reattach them it says, file size too big. I will try to attach the XML content files and see if that works.

It did not. Also too big...

Let me try dropbox.

That works. The two below links will take you to the documents.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gf38mfzik9nd4 ... N.ods?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbjvm7v9vk08y ... 9.ods?dl=0
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

From what I can see both have their content.xml file truncated and the last bit is missing. If so, the files are not recoverable.

Truncation can happen if the file write process is interrupted by, for example, unplugging a USB memory stick.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are to be deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
instructorsir

Post by instructorsir »

In the computer world, files are always recoverable... I hope at least.

You are likely right with the "Traction" thing but now what. I can not seem to find any TEMP files for it.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In one case the content.xml is corrupt - my checks are announcing a bad CRC value for it. In the other case content.xml is truncated, ceasing in the middle of a token. It might be possible, with the correct tools, to check the syntax of the existing code, then append a suitable end-section of code to the existing. This would require more knowledge of xml code in spreadsheets than I have.

Don't believe that files are _always_ recoverable - that way lies tears!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

instructorsir wrote:In the computer world, files are always recoverable...
In the computer world people take daily backups and retain them for days, weeks or months. Corrupted files are usually recoverable because they come from a recent backup.

content.xml in DOC_-_CFRP_GM_-_WORKSTATION.ods from your first post is very badly corrupted throughout and no recovery is possible. content.xml is also truncated.

conmtent.xml in DOC_-_CFRP_MAIN_-_UPDATE_ALPHA_12.3.2020.ods from your first post fails a CRC check and cannot be extracted from the zip container.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

John_Ha wrote:content.xml in DOC_-_CFRP_GM_-_WORKSTATION.ods from your first post is very badly corrupted throughout and no recovery is possible. content.xml is also truncated.
content.xml was truncated during the saving of automatic-styles before any user content was saved, so there is nothing at all to recover from the file.
John_Ha wrote:conmtent.xml in DOC_-_CFRP_MAIN_-_UPDATE_ALPHA_12.3.2020.ods from your first post fails a CRC check and cannot be extracted from the zip container.
Engrampa Archive Manager did extract the content.xml file for me. This file was truncated while user content was being saved, but that content does appear to be badly corrupted.

In both files, the beginning of the content.xml files appear OK, but content toward the end appears badly corrupted, possibly because the power failure occurred while the files were being saved.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04