[Solved] Turning *text* to italics

Discuss the word processor
Mojave

[Solved] Turning *text* to italics

Post by Mojave »

Hello,

I'm currently attempting to fix the formatting on a novel. There are over 500 instances of bold and italicized text displayed as **bold** and *italics*, respectively. Rather than edit each manually, I would appreciate some way to turn them to bold and italics automatically. This person: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64441 seems to have had a similar problem to me, but when I attempt that solution, I get the error

"Search Key Not Found"

Thank you in advance
Last edited by Mojave on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Openoffice 4.1.10 / Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Turning *text* to italics

Post by FJCC »

The solution in the post you linked still works for me. To find text with two asterisks on each side, search for

Code: Select all

\*\*([:alpha:]+)\*\*
Are you sure you have turned on Regular Expressions under the More section of the Find & Replace dialog?

Be sure to search for the words with two asterisks first because the single-asterisk search will also find the two-asterisk words.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Works for me too.
Make sure there are no other attributes selected by clicking the "No Format" button if any are and that you haven't added an extra space or something to the front or end of the search expression.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See if that helps: [Solved] Taking note and tagging format.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10