[Solved] Heading style displays differently in AOO and LO

Discuss the word processor
greyinblue

[Solved] Heading style displays differently in AOO and LO

Post by greyinblue »

I have a template I use for writing books. A couple of years ago, AOO started moving the chapter_heading paragraph 1 cm to the right. I can resolve the issue by entering an indent of -1cm, of course, but that is only a crude workaround. The odd thing is, LibreOffice displays the headings as intended. I now use LibreOffice by default. But again this is only a workaround, since there may be some error in the underlying code that's causing the discrepancy.
Can anyone please confirm that the heading in the attached sample displays differently in the two Writers? Even better - can anyone find out what is causing both programmes to behave differently?
Thanks
Attachments
h1_test.odt
(21.39 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Last edited by greyinblue on Sat May 29, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
AOO 4.1.7 and LO 7.1, Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Heading style displays differently in AOO and LO

Post by Bill »

Your paragraph style has a 1 cm "Spacing to contents" setting for the Left border. Perhaps your version of AOO is using that spacing setting even though there is no left border set. Try setting the spacing to 0 cm. I don't see the 1 cm shift to the right using AOO 4.1.10.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
greyinblue

Post by greyinblue »

Thanks Bill,
Setting the padding to zero makes no visible difference. I was wrong in my OP. In fact, AOO displays the heading correctly. Just LO indents to 1 cm. Can anyone else confirm this?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

After all those years, I still do not understand the Writer component. However, I observe that the parent style "Title" shows a similar behaviour. It has ~38 mm indent but I can not find the property responsible for this indentation. The parent of "Title" is "Heading" with no indentation.
AOO shows no indentation at all.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

greyinblue wrote:In fact, AOO displays the heading correctly. Just LO indents to 1 cm. Can anyone else confirm this?
I confirm that in LO 7.0.5, the heading is shifted 1cm to the right. Sounds logical for me since the padding is set to 1cm (Borders tab).
There still may be a direct formatting because when I change the padding of the paragraph style, it does not apply immediately, I've to hit Ctrl+M.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I found no indents using OpenOffice. I don't use LibreOffice so cannot comment about indents on it. It may be that it will be easiest for you to decide to work on OpenOffice or LibreOffice exclusively, to prevent unwanted side effects. I stick with OpenOffice as its visual display suits me, and my works are in progress on it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Heading style displays differently in AOO and L

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice shows the same padding but with the left and right values disabled.
I confirm that LibreOffice applies the 1cm padding by para style and as a hard formatting attribute.

btw: Why are there 2 properties "indent" and "padding"? What is the difference?
 Edit: I see, the padding is related to a paragraph border which is not visible here. 
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I can confirm that AOO and LO handle the paragraph border padding differently. In AOO 4.1.10, if there is no border, the padding setting is grayed out and the padding is not applied to the paragraph. If there is a border, the padding setting can be changed and is applied to the paragraph. In LO 6.3.3.2, the padding setting is never grayed out and is always applied to the paragraph even if there is no border.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There may then be cross-talk between a left padding and Indents and Spacing in LibreOffice. This may produce confusion!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
greyinblue

Post by greyinblue »

My previous post never materialized. The border thing fixed it. Many thanks to all!
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The behavior was modified in LO to allow spacing to contents when there is no border.

Bug 41542 - FORMATTING: Allow "Spacing to contents" for edges without a line