Type-in program magazine listing format

Discuss the word processor
LoadWB

Type-in program magazine listing format

Post by LoadWB »

I would like to create a document in which I put program listings using formatting like what was used in the old Home Computer or COMPUTE! Magazine listings. The three-column format is easy, but getting stuff to stay on the same line without wrapping not so much. In the example listing you can see how long lines go right up to the column's right margin, then continue on the next line (with indentation.) In my attempt below, you can see how long lines are broken by word wrapping. In particular, lines 78, 82, and 96 demonstrate what I am trying to NOT do. I have poked and proded around various format settings and I just cannot get it to come out properly, so I would appreciate if anyone can tell me how to accomplish this.

An example of what I am trying to do:
Example magazine listing format I want to duplicate.
Example magazine listing format I want to duplicate.
listing example.png (103.67 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
What I am getting:
What I am getting. Notice the broken output and wrapping on long lines.
What I am getting. Notice the broken output and wrapping on long lines.
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Type-in program magazine listing format

Post by Bill »

As far as I know, there is no way to turn off word wrapping. If you want to break a line in the middle of a word, hit Enter to start a new paragraph or Shift+Enter to start a new line.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Something else you might try is to make the column width wider. To me, based on the amount of text on each line in your two pictures, the column in the first picture (what you want) is wider than the column width in the second picture.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
LoadWB

Post by LoadWB »

RusselB wrote:Something else you might try is to make the column width wider. To me, based on the amount of text on each line in your two pictures, the column in the first picture (what you want) is wider than the column width in the second picture.
That is part optical illusion due to cropping and partly due to unavoidable differences in media formatting. The goal is to meet the formatting as the old magazines, in specifically how the text of a program listing completely fills print lines to the column margin before continuing on the next print line. An example:

https://archive.org/details/1988-02-com ... ew=theater
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Windows 7