[Solved] Page numbering starting on page 3

Discuss the word processor
kitty1

[Solved] Page numbering starting on page 3

Post by kitty1 »

I read the tutorials but I don't understand how to proceed. My problem:
I have text where I want to start the page numbering after the TOC.
I added a footer with the field page number and the numbering starts on the top/first page which I don't want.
When I add the footer I have two options to check: first page + standard/default
I don't understand what these options are doing. If I check them I get the page numbering on page 1 and if I uncheck them, the footer with page numbering is removed. So I have no idea how to proceed correctly. In which sequence do I have to activate the footer and the options? Or change the page style?
Last edited by kitty1 on Wed May 26, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open office 4.1.6 win 10
FJCC

Re: Page numbering starting on page 3

Post by FJCC »

The key is to use a different page style for the pages starting on page 3 than for the pages 1 and 2. You can see which page style is active on a page by looking at the Status Bar. That is the bar along the bottom of the Writer window that shows something like Page 3/10 at the bottom left. If the Status Bar is not visible, select the menu View -> Status Bar. Next to the place where the Status Bar shows Page X/Y, the page style is displayed. It will probably say Default if you have the cursor on page 3. If so, select the menu Insert-> Footer -> Default. All pages that have the Default page style will now have a footer. You can insert a field in the footer to display the page number.
You then have to apply some other page style to the first two pages. Place the cursor at the bottom of the text on the second page and use the menu Insert -> Manual Break to insert a Page Break that applies the Style Default. There is a drop down list where you can pick the style.
Now apply a style to the first two pages. Bring up the Styles and Formatting window with Format -> Styles & Formatting. Choose the Page styles ( 4th icon of the five at the top left of the window) and double click on one of the Page styles. Try First Page.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hagar Delest

Re: Page numbering starting on page 3

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also: [Tutorial] Page numbering.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10