[Solved] Table of contents reset page nb after every chapter

Discuss the word processor
hellothere

[Solved] Table of contents reset page nb after every chapter

Post by hellothere »

So I downloaded this template : https://templates.openoffice.org/en/tem ... plate-free

Initially I was having issues with the table of contents not showing any pagenumbers so I deleted it and created a new one. With the new one it now shows page numbers in the table of contents, however it appears to reset the page number to 1 at every chapter. See image below.

How can I change this so the page number keeps increasing like 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc regardless of what chapter we are on?

My second question is how do I get page numbers to show at the bottom of each page, currently they do not
Attachments
note how page resets to 1 every chapter... why?
note how page resets to 1 every chapter... why?
Untitled.jpg (14.62 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
0penOffice4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Table of contents reset page number to 1 after every cha

Post by RoryOF »

Use /Format/ Styles and Formatting to check that in your definition of Heading 1 style (or whichever style is used for the Chapter Headings), on the text flow tab, you have 0 entered on the Page Number entry. 0 means don't reset pagenumbering when you insert a page break after using that header style; 1 means reset pagenumbering to 1 after inserting a page break when that style is used.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Insert a Footer on the page styles in use (/Format /Styles and Formatting, click on 4th icon from left for Page Styles), right click on each Page Style in use, select Modify, click on Footer tab and check "Footer on" and any other settings you require. Press OK. Then, on an instance of each Page Style used (the first instance is good to use), click in the Footer, press tab, /Insert /Field /Page Number and you should see an increasing page number throughout your book..
hellothere

Post by hellothere »

RoryOF wrote:Use /Format/ Styles and Formatting to check that in your definition of Heading 1 style (or whichever style is used for the Chapter Headings), on the text flow tab, you have 0 entered on the Page Number entry. 0 means don't reset pagenumbering when you insert a page break after using that header style; 1 means reset pagenumbering to 1 after inserting a page break when that style is used.
Thanks for your reply. The chapter headings are heading 1, but its pagenumbering was already set to 0. I went through every item in paragraph styles and all of them also have pagenumbering set to 0. Could it be somewhere else that this is happening besides the paragraph styles?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A short sample file uploaded would speed diagnosis.
hellothere

Post by hellothere »

ok i got it working in the end. i manually clicked at the beginning of each page and then right click -> paragraph and some of them had page number set to 1, i simply changed it to zero

edit: and btw the template is in the link in my OP. thats exactly what i was using
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

/Format /Paragraph sets any selected option to be in effect for that paragraph only; this Direct Formatting over-rides the style definition.

Whatever may be in the Template, it is the file made from it that holds the information causing a problem. We cannot know exactly what a User has done by way of formatting; very often some formatting has been inserted inadvertently by an inexperienced user. The actual .odt file allows that to be found.
hellothere

Post by hellothere »

Ok thanks. The odt can be found here if you click download template:
https://templates.openoffice.org/en/tem ... plate-free
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

That is a template file type .ott. RoryOF refers to the file you have created based on that template.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

hellothere wrote:Initially I was having issues with the table of contents not showing any pagenumbers
I opened the template with AOO 4.1.10 and it also didn't show any page numbers in the TOC. Looking at the Structure for each level of entry, I found a right tab at 6.5" at the end of the Structure line. That may be there because the template was originally for MS Word. Writer uses a tab set to "Align right" after the Entry text. After deleting the tab stop at the end of the Structure line for each level, the page numbers appeared in the TOC
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
hellothere

Post by hellothere »

robleyd wrote:That is a template file type .ott. RoryOF refers to the file you have created based on that template.
oh ok, sorry, i have attached the file that openoffice creates when i load the template.
Attachments
test.odt
(28.77 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
hellothere

Post by hellothere »

Bill wrote:
hellothere wrote:Initially I was having issues with the table of contents not showing any pagenumbers
I opened the template with AOO 4.1.10 and it also didn't show any page numbers in the TOC. Looking at the Structure for each level of entry, I found a right tab at 6.5" at the end of the Structure line. That may be there because the template was originally for MS Word. Writer uses a tab set to "Align right" after the Entry text. After deleting the tab stop at the end of the Structure line for each level, the page numbers appeared in the TOC
sorry i'm a bit new open office and its terminology. not sure what or where to find a level of entry or it's structure, or its structure line. could you you tell me which menus i need to navigate to find these items?
edit: actually nevermind, i got the pages showing in the table of contents simply by deleting it and recreated.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

hellothere wrote:where to find a level of entry or it's structure
Right-click in the TOC and select Edit Index/Table. On the Insert Index/Table dialog, select the Entries tab. Select Level 1. The components used to create a Level 1 TOC entry are in boxes in the Structure line. E# is the entry number. E is the entry text. T is a tab stop. LS is the hyperlink start. # is the pate number. LE is the hyperlink end. T is the redundant tab stop. To remove the tab stop, click it then press the Delete key.

When you create a new TOC, that second tab stop and the hyperlinks are not added by default.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04